Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is services.exe?

• Please log in to reply

Half a Mill

Half a Mill

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ever since I had service.exe as one of my processes I haven't been able to install Norton Antivirus because it always fails when I install, Mcafee won't install, and everytime i restart my computer my Windows XP firewall is off and Windows Automatic update is off. Does anybody know how to get rid of it?

Advertisements

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP

Ever since I had service.exe as one of my processes I haven't been able to install Norton Antivirus

View Post

Is this process called Service.exe or Services.exe.

Services.exe is a Windows System file, responsible for managing the operation of starting and stopping services, and by default it's located in C:\Winnt\System32 in XP Home and in C:\Windows\System32 in XP Pro

Let's start by telling us the exact name and location of the Service(s).exe file you're holding responsible for your problems.

Half a Mill

Half a Mill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The process is called services.exe. It started appearing in my processes when I opened an e-mail with a text file.

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
I need a closer look. PLease go here, and follow step five to post a Hijack This log.

It will give us a better idea of what we're talking about.

Half a Mill

Half a Mill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That link directs me to this topic. Oh yea now I just got today all of a sudden two new processes called csrss.exe and smss.exe

decaman

decaman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,
I am experiencing the exact same problems. I tried to open a txt file sent from [email protected] with subject of mailing error, and now I get services.exe, csrss.exe and smss.exe. I tried to run a virus scan with Norton AV and when I tried to do a Live Update, I get a screen that says "No Connection"... Virus scan detected nothing. I still have the e-mail if someone needs it to figure out what this thing is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... :tazz:

PipBoySE

PipBoySE

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!

I have the exact same problem. I cannot update Norton Antivirus. I suspect this was from a compressed .txt file I got from one of our agents.

I also have Zonealarm running and it alerts me that services.exe is trying to send e-mail. If you allow this (temporarily), you get a new alert saying it tries to send more than 50 e-mails.

Definitely something fishy going on.

roscoe

roscoe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I'm wondering if there's a vicious bug going around.

Yesterday I received an 'innocent' looking email from a postmaster with subject saying that an email I'd sent had been blocked. After I opened the attached text file to find out more everything started to go haywire.
Spybot popped up and asked me if I'd allow various registry changes. I tried to click 'Deny' but the deny button was frozen, and a second later my computer crashed.

I restarted and 15 mins later while working in a Word doc. it suddenly crashed, like it's never done before.

After restarting I tried to log onto internet. NO GO!
A message popped up saying "Memory read in Winsock module failed. Restart your computer to fix. Firewall or antivirus is blocking sysfile smss. exe"

No amount of restarting has fixed the error. Each time I've tried to connect to internet a slightly different message appears saying that services.exe was blocked or csrss.exe was blocked or smss.exe was blocked. I haven't a clue what's going on - but have noticed that PC resources are used are doubly fast, and PC is crashing or freezing very frequently.

Anti-virus scan hasn't detected anything.
Like the other person I too have suddenly found 'service, smss and csrss' entries in my running processes list

Any ideas guys?

UPDATE: I've just gone into the list and closed down service, smss and csrss and can now connect to internet. Looks like I'll have to do this everytime as can't see how to heal the problem.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
'services, smss and csrss' are all legitimate windows processes, but malware programs will piggyback -- especially under services.

That said, two things

1) Guys, start your own threads.

2) Please go to the malware forum in my singature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

grandwizard

grandwizard

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Edited to remove offensive content

Edited by ~Kat~, 19 May 2005 - 10:59 PM.