Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FATAL ERROR IE 00010E36[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dr_patkisd

dr_patkisd

• Pip
  • 7 posts
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]

HELLO:

My PC is infected with the Trojan horse Smitfraud recently. The blue desktop wallpaper with security warning and my browser homepage are altered. My AVG antivirus software shows the path of the Trojan as C:\windows\Temp\se.dll.

We have tried to remove the trojan by reinstalling windows and running updated AVG antivirus. The antivirus detects the trojan but does not remove it completely. As a precautionary measure, I have changed my internet access password.

I have also created a log file with the Hijack This scanning. Herewith, I am attaching the same for ur perusal. Kindly go through it and suggest the steps to remove the "blue desktop trojan" or precautions to be taken.

Kindly give the remedial steps in the simplest possible steps, as we are not very versatile with the removal of such intrusion of desktop hijacking.

Kindly answer asap.

Thanking you,

Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Patki S. D.

Email: removed before the spambots find it - Metallica

Attached Files

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Please read these instructions carefully and print them out! Be sure to follow ALL instructions!

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and remove the following programs, if found:

Security IGuard
Virtual Maid
Search Maid
MyWebSearch

Exit Add/Remove Programs

Download this file: http://www.bleepingc...g/smitfraud.reg
Doubleclick smitfraud.reg and confirm you want to merge it with the registry.

*Click Here to download Killbox by Option^Explicit.
*Extract the program to your desktop and double-click on its folder, then double-click on Killbox.exe to start the program.
*In the killbox program, select the Delete on Reboot option.
*Open the text file with these instructions in it, and copy the file names below to the clipboard by highlighting them and pressing Control-C:

C:\wp.exe
C:\wp.bmp
C:\bsw.exe
C:\Windows\sites.ini
C:\Windows\popuper.exe
C:\Windows\System32\helper.exe
C:\Windows\System32\intmonp.exe
C:\Windows\System32\msmsgs.exe
C:\Windows\System32\ole32vbs.exe
C:\Windows\system32\msole32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hp596C.tmp
C:\WINDOWS\System32\shnlog.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\intmon.exe

*Return to Killbox, go to the File menu, and choose "Paste from Clipboard".
*Click the red-and-white "Delete File" button. Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click "No" at the Pending Operations prompt.

While your computer is restarting, tap the F8 key continually until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode, then hit enter.

Run HijackThis and put checkmarks in front of he following items.
Close all windows except HijackThis and click Fix checked:

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00A6FAF6-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MYWEBSEARCH\SRCHASTT\1.BIN\MWSSRCAS.DLL

O2 - BHO: mwsBar BHO - {07B18EA1-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MYWEBSEARCH\BAR\1.BIN\MWSBAR.DLL
O2 - BHO: MyWebSearch Search Assistant BHO - {00A6FAF1-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MYWEBSEARCH\SRCHASTT\1.BIN\MWSSRCAS.DLL

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {375AF1E1-C1C7-11D9-810E-0008E1DD0F4A} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AMCH.DLL

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\BAR\1.BIN\MWSOEMON.EXE

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MyWebSearch Email Plugin] C:\PROGRA~1\MYWEBS~1\BAR\1.BIN\MWSOEMON.EXE

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WindowsFY] C:\WP.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LDM] \Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe
O4 - Startup: MyWebSearch Email Plugin.lnk = C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\1.bin\MWSOEMON.EXE
O4 - Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mywebsear...?p=ZNxdm119YYIN
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {501A64E0-C1C7-11D9-810E-0008A15EE0C1} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {501A64E0-C1C7-11D9-810E-0008A15EE0C1} - (no file) (HKCU)

O16 - DPF: {45231111-1111-1111-1111-111111113458} - file://C:\WINDOWS\Tempor~1\Content.IE5\O7MN6BZR\epl7[1].cab
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.imgfarm.co...up1.0.0.8-2.cab

O18 - Filter: text/html - {375AF1E0-C1C7-11D9-810E-00088E91AAD1} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AMCH.DLL
O18 - Filter: text/plain - {375AF1E0-C1C7-11D9-810E-00088E91AAD1} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AMCH.DLL

Make sure you can view hidden files.

Using Windows Explorer, delete the following (please do NOT try to find them by "search" because they will not show up that way)

FOLDERS to delete (in bold) if found:

C:\Program Files\Search Maid
C:\Program Files\Virtual Maid
C:\Windows\System32\Log Files
C:\Program Files\Security IGuard

Reboot into normal mode.

*IMPORTANT* Be sure you know how to VIEW HIDDEN FILES

1.) Download the Hoster from HERE Press "Restore Original Hosts" and press "OK". Exit Program.

2.) Download: DelDomains.inf
Should the link above display the text instead of downloading the file, then copy & paste the text into notepad and save the file as DellDomains.inf
To use: right-click and select: Install (no need to restart)
Note: This will remove all entries in the "Trusted Zone" and "Ranges" also.

3.) Download, install, and run CleanUp!

Post back with a new HijackThis log when you are done.
Please post the content of the log instead of attaching it.

Regards,

dr_patkisd

dr_patkisd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear Pieter:

Thank u very much for such a quick response!

Getting a printout of ur letter and will try my level best to follow ur instructions. Looks difficult (for me), but I am sure that my pc will get rid of this trojan sooner than later.

Kindly, let me know about any threats (if any) from this trojan attack.

It's nice to have such wonderful persons like u out there doing some noble service to netizens.

Thanx a lot once again!!!

Yours Sincerely

dr patki s d

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi,

The trojan itself is merely a very aggressive way to display ads for so-called computer-security related software.
The method of infection is more worrying since it reportedly spreads as a phishing sceme, which means your email program is not safe enough.

Keep me posted on your progress and if anything is unclear, we're here. :tazz:

Regards,

dr_patkisd

dr_patkisd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
HELLO:

I had posted a problem today about the Smitfraud Trojan horse infection in my PC.
It was answered by Pieter (metallica). Now I again want to go through my last post and unable to find it. I had posted my problem at 3:35 PM IST (INDIAN STANDARD TIME). Kindly help me to find my thread.

Dr. PATKI S. D.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Found and merged.

You can find your way back by following this link

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=24559

ScHwErV :tazz:

dr_patkisd

dr_patkisd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
undefined [FONT=Arial][COLOR=blue]

;) :tazz:

Hi!

I have successfully completed all the instructions upto reboot in normal mode and the result is wonderful! I have retrieved my original desktop, its display properties, and have also got my homepage back and have got rid off the AVG window displaying the virus name after clicking every application. THANX A LOT!!!

At present, I am unable to download the "Hoster". ;) The window shows its icon unregistered. What type of program is needed to open this software? Please guide ASAP.

Dr. Patki S. D.

Edited by dr_patkisd, 12 May 2005 - 11:01 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hoster is a zipped package

If you ae looking for a free and easy to use unzipper: http://members.ozema...lifetv/freezip/

Keep going you are almost there. The worst has been done.

Regards,

dr_patkisd

dr_patkisd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi :tazz: Pieter:

I have finished downloading the hoster and rest of the remaining steps. It had been a thrilling experience to go through all this process.

Here is the fresh HJT scan log of my system for ur perusal:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:12:56 PM, on 5/13/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGSERV9.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RSCMPT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMPA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LOGITECH\VIDEO\LOGITRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LVCOMS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\EFFICIENT NETWORKS\ENTERNET 300\APP\ENTERNET.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/spage.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://in.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/spage.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_3_12_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: Adobe Acrobat Control for ActiveX - {CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000} - C:\PROGRA~1\ADOBE\ACROBA~1.0\READER\ACTIVEX\PDF.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_3_12_0.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Rscmpt] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Rscmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMPa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Machine Debug Manager] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Avgserv9.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0527.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0527.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {88D969C0-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} (XML DOM Document 4.0) - file://C:\TempEI4\EI40_\msxml4.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat 1.3 - http://jcs.chat.dcn....m/c174/chat.cab
O16 - DPF: {B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999} (YAddBook Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c...utocomplete.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcaf...484/mcfscan.cab

Kindly suggest if anything is yet to be done.

THANK U VERY MUCH FOR GIVING UR VALUABLE TIME AND HELPING ME OUT.

;)

Dr. Patki S. D.

Edited by dr_patkisd, 13 May 2005 - 01:30 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Good job. :tazz:

Let's clean out the remnants.

Check the items listed below in HijackThis, close all windows (especially IE) except HijackThis and click Fix checked:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/spage.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/spage.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank

That should do it.

Regards,

dr_patkisd

dr_patkisd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: ;)

Hi Pieter:

THANK U once again for giving such a quick response. The remnants have now been fixed up and everything seems back to normal now.

This would not have been possible without ur kind and timely help (otherwise, I was advised to format my hard disc to fix the problem.) It would have been dreadful for me to surf the net again, if I had not found any solution here and if I had to format my disc. I really felt immediately assured with ur quick responses from the beginning. Initially, it appeared a complicated task, but it progressed smoothly and perfectly.

Please guide me about following queries that I have now:

1. Has the trojan horse been completely eliminated or it will remain dormant(suppressed) in my system? If it has been eliminated completely, will I be susceptible to its attack again or enough firewalls have been created to make my system immune to its attack? If it has remained dormant, will my PC unknowingly spread it in anyway?

2. Is my email program safe now?

3. Is there any need to reconfigure my modem or change my password?

Herewith, I am sending the final HJT log of my system. I hope u will find it perfectly OK.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:58:34 PM, on 5/13/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGSERV9.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RSCMPT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMPA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LOGITECH\VIDEO\LOGITRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LVCOMS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\EFFICIENT NETWORKS\ENTERNET 300\APP\ENTERNET.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://in.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_3_12_0.DLL
O2 - BHO: Adobe Acrobat Control for ActiveX - {CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000} - C:\PROGRA~1\ADOBE\ACROBA~1.0\READER\ACTIVEX\PDF.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_3_12_0.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Rscmpt] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Rscmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMPa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CriticalUpdate] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Machine Debug Manager] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Avgserv9.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0527.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0527.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {88D969C0-F192-11D4-A65F-0040963251E5} (XML DOM Document 4.0) - file://C:\TempEI4\EI40_\msxml4.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Chat 1.3 - http://jcs.chat.dcn....m/c174/chat.cab
O16 - DPF: {B9191F79-5613-4C76-AA2A-398534BB8999} (YAddBook Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c...utocomplete.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcaf...484/mcfscan.cab

THANK U ONCE AGAIN!

May god keep u ;) forever!

Sincerely,

Dr. Patki S. D.

Edited by dr_patkisd, 13 May 2005 - 08:47 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
- All the "active files" we know to be part of this trojan were deleted.
So a re-appearance should not be due to anything that is still dormant on your computer.
-Enough firewalls is the wrong idea. ONE correctly configured firewall is all you need and should be using.
-This trojan is not spread from infected computers (if it would it would be called a virus, but that's technobabble ;) )

- Please have a look at my site for some tips on how to remove and prevent spyware.

- Any passwords stored on your computer should be changed regularly to avoid the risk of abuse.

Your log looks good and you were a great person to work with too. ;) :tazz:

Regards,

dr_patkisd

dr_patkisd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Pieter:

THANKS A LOT for clarifying my doubts! ;) It has always been so assuring with u.

I am going through ur website and finding the prevention of spywares section educative and useful. I think it summarizes everything that a troubled netizen like me would like to find at one place.

Today, I had some trouble in reaccessing this webpage, as I always have trouble in optimizing my internet options. :tazz: Everyone goes through such teething troubles and hope that they will settle with much trials and errors.

;) Hope to find u there always whenever in trouble.

Regards,

Dr. Patki S. D.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.