Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How-to repair Internet Explorer 6.0

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Repair Internet Explorer 6

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

Advertisements

Budboomer

Budboomer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I used method 1 and it really fixed my problems. Thanks for posting that fix :tazz:

internetcleaningtool

internetcleaningtool

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ill try method , thankyou for the post

great help

theamcguy

theamcguy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Good info. Is there a way for those of us that have factory installs of Windows and were provided only with a System Restore disk to do any of the repairs? Is there a way to copy the dll cache and put it on a cd so the system can use it to replace any dll with problems? TIA

BigD

BigD

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Nice advice.

Holla back.

victim of a down

victim of a down

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have the same problem as theamcguy. I have a Gateway and it only has a system restore DVD. What should we do?

kizzletharizzle

kizzletharizzle

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,

I tried your first method, but IE still gives me some errors after it.

I've tried to do the second one, and while installing some files, i got an error message that iedw.exe was not found on the Win CD.

IE still goes bananas. I would not care, if it wasn't for my family who uses IE.

Can you think of a way of getting that iedw.exe ?

Thanks,
kiz

bulvie

bulvie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I'm new to this forum.

My friend is having a problem with her IE 6.0 on her XP Pro system. She will click on the icon on her desktop and the hour glass will appear next to the curser/arrow, but the page doesn't load. Nothing happens. The hour glass disappears, and when the taskmanager is displayed, it shows iexplorer in the process window, but there is no page displayed. Again, when the icon, either on the desktop or toolbar try is clicked, the same thing happens.

Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, does the two repair procedures at the top of this topic apply to this problem as well?

If not, could someone please direct me to the area that helps repair the problem?

again, my first post here and thank you for your help ahead of time.

Edited by bulvie, 01 August 2005 - 09:23 PM.

bulvie

bulvie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So, no one can help with this one?

poc_hr

poc_hr

• Pip
  • 3 posts
there is a program that was instaled to you trough internet. You must find it and delete it normaly like you delete games and by runing regedit (and deleting it there). Then you can change your home page your internet will work and so on....

By the way the program that was bothering me was named :YourSiteBar

i wish that i helped you with my solution :tazz:

Advertisements

Housecoatman

Housecoatman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank You Keith for your suggestion and help.

I followed your instructions and replaced a corrupted file from my 98 se disk but the problem continues to be with me. I still get an explorer page fault error two times before the folder I'm trying for opens.

At least I now know how to check and restore my registry when needed. Thanks again. Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Housecoatman

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Thank you Admin, I'll keep this in mind for when someone or I needs to read this :tazz:

DirtyOldTechie2721

DirtyOldTechie2721

• Pip
  • 1 posts
yeah i have the same problem as kizzletharizzle, where do i get the file iedw.exe? without it i cant repair this evil thing.

alevans55

alevans55

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey I am a new user and decided to try the two methods to fix internet explorer because I have been having some problems with it for a few weeks now. Anytime I hit the close button, only in internet explorer, I would get kicked out of all the windows I had open in internet explorer. And I always have tons of windows going at once because I am at work so this was a huge problem. Anyways the two methods that were given in the forum didn't work for me so, don't ask why, but I decided to try tools, manage add-ons, and I disabled any sort of add ons that I didn't know what they were or didn't need. Then I also updated the active x control, not even sure what that did, but after that I rebooted my computer and was good to go. I figured since it was such a pain in the butt, and I was so happy to fix the problem I would share what worked with the rest of ya.

coolharry

coolharry

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have misplaced my windows CD. So, Is there any otherway to fix this problem?