Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help, Internet and Registry problems.

• Please log in to reply

yafim

yafim

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi all.
A long time ago, my internet explorer stopped showing gif. and jpg. pictures on sites, giving the "Red X" instead. This problem didn't go away, so I looked for a solution on the net. I entered forums, and some told me to change a value in my registry (can't remeber which one) from 1 to 0. I did that, and the problem was solved but it came back.
I tried to find an answer again, and came upon a forum which told me to change the values and names of the gif. and jpg. folders inside the registry (Inside the main folder HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT). If anyone can help i'll specify the changes I made in more detail, but I changed a lot, I changed the jpeg, jpg, jpe and gif folders (aka. keys).
I believe this is the reason for my problem now, which is worse than before. Now my internet explorer will display the "Page cannot be found" etc. error when trying to contact most web pages, it mostly occurs when I get to a site, and then click on a further link inside that site (in order to brows the site itself).
I don't know if it's the changes I made the the registry, or a different problem that's causing this, but please help me if you know.
Thanks a lot.

P.S:
I am using WinXp Prof. with SP1+ internet explorer for SP1 (ver 6.0.2800.1106)

Advertisements

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hey, why isn't anyone helping me? is this forum abandoned?
help.

guymontech

guymontech

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi. I am new to the board, but I have a few suggestions for you! Do you check regularly for Spyware/Adware? If not, I would download Ad-Aware (www.lavasoft.com) and Spy Bot (www.safer-networking.org) and run these. Sometimes browser Hijackers, such as Cool Web Search can cause these things to happen. You might also want to download Hijack This and post the log in the forum for Hijack this logs.

I hope that helps!

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
First things first.
IF YOU AREN'T SURE DON'T CHANGE YOUR REGISTRY, AND EVEN IF YOU ARE SURE YOU SHOULD STILL MAKE A BACKUP JUST IN CASE YOU MAKE A "MISTAKE".
With that said, The best thing for you to do, unless you can tell me exactly which registry keys you changed, is to go to places like the website below

http://www.registryrestore.com/

and find the software that you belive will best help you. However, if you do know exactly what you changed, just go and change it back.

All of this said I do agree with guymontech on this one,

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

yafim

yafim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Hi.  I am new to the board, but I have a few suggestions for you!  Do you check regularly for Spyware/Adware?  If not, I would download Ad-Aware (www.lavasoft.com) and Spy Bot (www.safer-networking.org) and run these.  Sometimes browser Hijackers, such as Cool Web Search can cause these things to happen.  You might also want to download Hijack This and post the log in the forum for Hijack this logs.

I hope that helps!

View Post

Well, thanks a lot for the help, but still, after I tried spybot in addition to the adaware that i already have, i didn't find any problems.
I used Hijack This, and here is the log if you can make anything of it, but it's long.. lol:

-------------------
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:39:59 PM, on 6/24/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINXP\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\services.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINXP\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINXP\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINXP\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINXP\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINXP\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINXP\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINXP\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINXP\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\WINXP\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe
C:\WINXP\System32\wuauclt.exe
D:\PROGRAMS\Installations\New Folder\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.walla.co.il/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: URLLink Class - {4A2AACF3-ADF6-11D5-98A9-00E018981B9E} - C:\Program Files\NewDotNet\newdotnet6_38.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINXP\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] C:\WINXP\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINXP\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINXP\System32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINXP\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StormCodec_Helper] "C:\Program Files\Ringz Studio\Storm Codec\StormSet.exe" /S /opti
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINXP\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [New.net Startup] rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Service Process] C:\WINXP\system32\config\service.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Services Process] C:\WINXP\system32\config\smss.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINXP\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Symantec Fax Starter Edition Port.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\OLFSNT40.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra button: Ò×Ȥ¹ºÎï - {DE60714F-AC17-427e-861A-FD60CBDF119A} - http://click2.ad4all...ge/url.asp?id=1 (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Ò×Ȥ¹ºÎï - {DE60714F-AC17-427e-861A-FD60CBDF119A} - http://click2.ad4all...ge/url.asp?id=1 (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {4175A701-6E4B-4B71-AB9F-6C768085BD99} - (no file) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {4175A701-6E4B-4B71-AB9F-6C768085BD99} - (no file) (HKCU)
O10 - Hijacked Internet access by New.Net
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1115152777397
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINXP\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe

So what can you tell me? ... :tazz:

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Although you do have a newdotnet infection in there, and some other malwares you will need to move this HiJack This log to the correct forum.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, Technically since I am still in TRAINING I really can not suggest anything, but you do need to post the above log HERE
and an expert will review the log and reply to you on any changes you need to make.
Good Luck :tazz:

Edited by phybyr0ptyk, 24 June 2005 - 04:48 PM.