Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Primary Hard Disk Not Found

• Please log in to reply

saraseth

saraseth

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello. My computer was suddenly running very slowly. I read the post in the malware forum about what to do first, and saw that there were two things I hadn't tried yet: Clean Up! and CWShredder. I ran Clean Up! then ran SpySubtract because CWShredder is now part of that program. It seemed to work. Computer is now running normally. However, now when I boot up I get:

Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found.

and

No boot device available.

It only boots up when I press ctl-alt-del.

ALSO, I have a second hard drive. When my computer started running slow, I couldn't access the second hard drive. (I got a message asking me if I wanted to format the drive, which I didn't.) Now, there's not even an icon in My Computer for it. When I hit F2 at startup to go to Setup, it says the drive is off. But when I go to the Device Manager it says the "device is working properly."

Are my hard drives failing or is this something caused by Clean Up and SpySubtract???

(I have a Dell 8200, running Windows XP. A 120gb primary drive and a 40gb drive).

Edited by saraseth, 12 June 2005 - 08:15 AM.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Try removing both of the harddrives and then putting in only one at a time...are they set as the master drive- did you split the cable (if its ATA) with a dvd drive or such?

saraseth

saraseth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, I hooked up just the 120gb drive and so far it's started up twice with no problem. (But over the past few days the boot up problem has been intermittent - so I'll have to wait and see if the problem is completely gone).

I also hooked up the 40gb drive by itself. I got the message "Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 Not Found." When I hit F2 to go to Setup, it said the primary hard drive was "Unknown."

The cable is not split with a DVD drive. The ATA cable goes to the 40gb then the 120gb.

Could Clean Up! or Spy Subtract have deleted something that's causing the drive not to be recognized?