Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too much Page File useage

• Please log in to reply

Ryanx1

Ryanx1

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
My page file useage recently jumped nearly 300 mb. I was getting the blue screen of death earlier with the error "Page_File_Fault_In_Unpaged_Area", or something very close to that. After a visit to the malware removal forum the computer stopped bsod'ing, but the page file is still really high. I was directed here and hope I can find the source of the problem.

Thanks, Ryan

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Either you've picked up or downloaded something that uses a lot of memory, check with your Task Manager, or you lost some RAM or you just need more memory. Virii and malware can be sudden causes of pagefile usage. Also P2P networking and certain other apps like games and video editing need a lot of ram.

Ryanx1

Ryanx1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well, as of right this moment, firefox is using about four times as much memory as anything else, and it is just as high with firefox closed. I don't know how I would lose ram and I haven't had memory problems before. I did a variety of scans including kapersky, housecall, panda, ad-aware, microsoft antispyware, and ewido. I would hope you can provide some advice with this problem.

Thanks, Ryan

Ryanx1

Ryanx1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I just BSOD'ed. I started to think it wasn't going to happen again. I wrote all the error information. Here it is:

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

"Windows has detected a serious error blah blah"

STOP:0x000000D1 (0xFA6FC010, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xFA145F35)

***PCONT.SYS - Address FA145F35 base at FA144000, DateStamp 41839eeb

The last person I spoke with asked me for this info so I'm posting it here too.

Thanks, Ryan

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
search for pcont.sys, right click, properties, and report that info on version tab ...

Ryanx1

Ryanx1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
My search didn't find a PCONT.sys, and I have it searching hidden and system folders. It did however find pcontNT.sys, and this is from my antivirus program panda platinum internet security. It is supposed to be the panda content filter. I have had problems with panda recently, as it no longer saves settings for firewall changes and such, as well as saying I am unprotected when all protection is on. If necessary, I can post all the info.
I think I should re-install panda, but first what do you think?

Thanks, Ryan

Edited by Ryanx1, 28 June 2005 - 09:24 PM.

Ryanx1

Ryanx1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
i got another BSOD, here is the info.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

"Windows has detected a serious error blah blah"

*** STOP:0x00000050 (0xFFA16000, 0x00000002, 0x804F1F96, 0x00000000)

I don't think this was very helpful, but this was the original problem.
Maybe you know something about it.

Thanks, Ryan.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Ryanx1,

Can you please download and run Memtest86 from:
http://www.memtest86.com/

Let us know the results

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Oh. And I found this article about your error:
http://kadaitcha.cx/0x50_error.html

Regards,

Ryanx1

Ryanx1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Memtest didn't find any errors, but that article does remind me of my own problems. For one thing they did seem to start shortly after installing a USB device. One step closer to the truth I hope....

Thanks, Ryan

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Maybe it's an option to create a second hardware profile:
http://www.microsoft...ile_create.mspx

In that profile remove the USB device from the Control Panel > Hardware wizard.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Ryanx1

Ryanx1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I can't say how, but just creating a new hardware profile copy seemed to correct one of my problems. Previously I had control panel errors every time I loaded it more than once in a single session, which started right after I installed that device. I deleted it from the device manager, but when I plugged it in to check it came back each time. I have been unable to correct this in any way, but a copy of the hardware profile did the trick...

Thanks, Ryan

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Well. I'm clueless about what exactly happened, but glad we were able to help.
:tazz:

Regards,

Ryanx1

Ryanx1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I think I found one thing in particular that sets off my BSOD's. My brother plays a wolfenstien game, and 25-50% of the time the computer crashes as the game loads it's graphics system. If possible I would like to know which components are strained by this.

Thanks, Ryan