Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New ERROR: This time its fatal

• Please log in to reply

Peepo28

Peepo28

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Now when I try to setup Windows XP with this wonderfully expensive CD, it says:

Fatal Error

An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing.

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Press ok to view the setup log file.

(in the setup log file)
The signature for windows xp home edition setup is invalid. error code fffffc02

This never came up before, so I don't know whats wrong. I'm on this site now trying to follow these directions: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;823303 but if anyone has any more suggestions or an idea what is wrong with it, let me know.

thanks!! :tazz:

Advertisements

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
it could be that the windows copy is either corrupted or invalid. where didi you purchase it?

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
computer website. www.newegg.com

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Try going to the microsoft website and VALIDATE your windows copy. If it's not a legal windows copy, it's most probably the cause.

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
how do i do that exactly?

and what i tried to do now is go into recovery console and snoop around. i decided to rund chkdsk and found chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume. I'm not quite sure what that means, but i decided to run chkdsk again, but with the /r command. Now its attempting to recover some stuff i guess. but its still on 0% completed. It sounds like its working...makin all kinds of noises, but hasn't moved yet. hope this works.

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hey everyone:

New Error again! :tazz:

Delayed Write Failed

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:\windows\system32\dllcache\dinput.8.dll. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

This error is given while my computer is at the finalizing installation stage. Its been at 7% for hours and thats the error that keeps comin up. ;)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is this an upgrade disk or a full install?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Just off the top it sounds like your hard drive has bad sectors and the data isn't being copied to it. When setup is done the files aren't just copied blindly to the disk, they are checked for validity after then are copied. That's why a thorough scan of the disk should be done before the considerable effort of installing Windows is done.

Edited by Tyger, 25 July 2005 - 06:06 PM.

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
this is a full install.

and as of now, it finished installing and i restarted it. but it seems to be on that blue screen and its scanning. it says that there are bad sectors and its moving pretty slow but at least its moving. i'm just hoping that any severe problems will will be repaired during the scan, and i can hopefully startup windows. then i'll go ahead and fix the rest. i guess i have to just wait and see.

thanks everyone.

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
hey everyone.

this is the update. i got thru the installation, and when i restarted (at this point i was extremely excited cuz i thought the worst was over) i saw yet another error message. This one was a STOP message.

STOP: c000021a

Is there any way to get past this? Should i just stop trying and bring it in to get fixed? I really don't have the money right now. <sigh> I'll try anything else at this point. :tazz:

Advertisements

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Get a bootable disk/floppy and run a chkdisk/scandisk on the drive. It sounds like your hd is going. If necessary you could try to partition the drive around the bad sectors, but I'd only use that as a temporary fix.

-Matt

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
how can i partition the drive around the bad clusters? I already created a partition. but i still got this error message, so i probably didn't do it right. should i just replace my hard drive? is that expensive?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can get a decent HD for $100 or less in most places. check www.tigerdirect.com they have alot of good deals. or www.newegg.com or www.bizrate.com . as long as there is nothing on the current hard drive that you really want to keep then getting a new HD would honestly save you alot of trouble

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
ok. i just hope that this is the reason its acting up and tha when i do replace the HD, it'll be back to normal. b/c i already spent money on a new XP disk, and now i realize that there wasn't anything wrong with the old one. Now as for getting a new HD,

1) is there a specific one that would be compatible with my laptop? (IBM thinkpad 600x)

2) can i install it myself, or do i have to pay someone else to?

3) some people said that reason i was getting all these copy errors and STOP errors was b/c there was something wrong with my CDROM drive, so which one is more likely the problem? the HD or the CDROM drive? I'm just so worried that i'll buy the HD, install it, and still have problems.

Peepo28

Peepo28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
bump!