Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PXE-E61: Media test failure

• Please log in to reply

vak

vak

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My laptop is a Toshiba Portege 7020CT, quite old but it did the job. I was working on it the other day and wen I tried shutting down it just stalled on me. No problem i thought just take out the power coz it was stalled anyway, its happened before n i could restart normally afterwards no problem. However this time these messages came up:

The first message that comes up after I turn on my laptop is:
Initializing MBA. Press Ctrl + Alt + B to configure..

Then once that message times out some writing comes up of my copyright or something for my network card.

Then the message PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.
Network boot aborted, or terminated
Press a key to continue.

Once I press a key another message comes up saying
Insert system disk in drive.
Press any key when ready....

If I insert a system disk, it goes into dos, n I can't access C: drive at all it comes up with invalid drive specification. If I don't insert a system disk n just press a button to continue it just goes back to the beginning.

If I do actually press Ctrl + Alt + B a menu thats says at the top "Managed PC Boot Agent (MBA) v4.02 (BIOS Integrated)
On this menu I have the option to chance the boot method from:
PXE
TCP/IP
Netware
RPL

also other options are config message, message timeout, boot failure prompt, boot failure. i have tried changing all these options but to no avail. i can enter BIOS but from reading other messages of this similar message there is no option for me to disable LAN boot up. At the moment i've configured the boot setup to be HDD, FDD, CD-ROM, and then LAN. I've tried placing in my Windows 98 CD to see if it could boot up from that but the messsages above just come up instead.

I have no idea wat to do, my last option is to format the disk because i have soooo much work on it, and music ;). But i do have it partitioned, so that operating system n programs are on my C: drive and all my data is on my D:. But even in DOS it does not recognise either of the drives. Please help at least just recover my data. :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may want to go into setup and make sure the network boot option isn't enabled. You may also be abl to set BIOS defaults. If you have to keep doing that you may need a new CMOS battery.

vak

vak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
setup? as in in BIOS? coz there is no option to disable the network, i have however tried taking out the network card but with no changes. I have also tried setting the BIOS options to default but to no avail there as well. Even taking out the hard drive n placing back in does nothing. the BIOS setting do save so i don't think i need a new CMOS battery. is there anything else i can try out?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Boot into BIOS and change the boot options to floppy, then cd-rom and finally hdd.. Leave the last boot option as nothing, if possible..

Murray

vak

vak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can't leave the last option as nothing, but i have tried FDD, CDROM, LAN, then last HDD, but nothing changed the same messages n loop happened.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Change the order to hdd first and LAN last..

Murray

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
computer manufacturers should honestly leave the pxe boot option off of all systems by default and force you to install it later if you need it....i mean who the heck boots off the network anyway?

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 12:57 PM.

vak

vak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
that was the order i had to begin with n i just tried changin it back to that but again no changes... n wat is PXE??? coz there is no option in the BIOS of mine to do anything with it...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
PXE is network or LAN bootup.. It is looking for a network connection in order to boot the system..

Murray

vak

vak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just tried putting in another startup disk, i think the other one i tried was corrupt or something, and i can get through to the startup menu. The diagnostic said that i have don't have a FAT32 or something??? and why all of a sudden is it looking for a network to boot off wen it has never done so b4?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Who knows.. Bad CMOS.. dead CMOS battery, could be anything..

Murray

vak

vak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Is there anyway of recovering my data?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Sure there is.. Just slave your harddrive to another system and pull the stuff that way!!

Murray

vak

vak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The problem is though, it's a laptop's hard drive so i can't just plug it up... is there any other way?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
They make adaptors just for that purpose.. You will have to purchase one!!

Murray