Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PXE-E61 Media Test Failed, Check cable

• Please log in to reply

bbaker9000

bbaker9000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I received a blue screen (did not write down info). I powered down PC and rebooted and got the following messages:

PXE-e61 Media test failed, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
Operating System not found

I had a new HD overnighted, replaced it and have same problem

I spend about 45 minutes with <ATRI> to troubleshoot and resolve problem with no success.

I have removed all perf equipment and just have HD, battery and Power cord conntect to PC.

I have completely powered down, removed battery, power cord, etc reseated HD the put battery back and powered up with same problem

I have gone through every BIOS start up config scenario for both my Boot and Network sequences with no luck and no change in errors when attempting to boot up.

My IBM T30 laptop is about 2 years old, and there was some discussion that my CMOS battery mail be failing. I was able to save my BIOS changes without problems, and ultimately set the config changes back to default, rebooted with no luck. Not sure if my battery is a problem........

I have read to check my IDE cable, but on this thinkpad, I have no idea how to check - so I am stuck on this path

I checked for bent pins on my old and new HD and found NO problems.

HELP!

Bryan

Edited by bbaker9000, 13 August 2005 - 11:27 AM.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's a link you might want to take a look at:

http://www.nocrash.c...msgs/3247.shtml

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Go into setup and make sure your not trying to use a 'network boot option'.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also....on the laptop...its not that hard to check the cables....just a matter of opening the case and not touching anything that you don't know what it is......

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...do you have any network cables or usb devices plugged in during boot?

vinch100

vinch100

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You have sure an HD or partition problem.

I bought a new and faster hard disk for my laptop and installed it from scratch with the recovery cd's.
The Norton Ghost step worked fine until the last reboot, where I discover this famous message :

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0f: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No operating system found

With the help of an IDE to USB adapter and Powerquest PartitionMagic 8.0 on my desktop, I saw that the main partition was not activated.

I only needed to make this partition "Active" (it can be done with fdisk) and it was OK.

I hope it'll help

PS. This error only means that the bios can't find any operating system on HD, CD, USB, ... and when he tries to check if there is a network boot possibility he don't find any PXE server.

TCHAZZA

TCHAZZA

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there, I seem to have a similar problem. Recently had to reformat my hard drive due to slowness and the possibility of viruses. After a while I started getting this same error message. At first I could turn the computer off and then back on again and everything would be okay. However, it became very frequent so that, every night when my computer went to sleep it would not wake up and I kept getting the same error message - every time it went to sleep. One day it just wouldn't start up properly at all continually calling for the system disk to be inserted.
I tried reformatting the hard drive again but this did not help.
Today I took it into a computer shop and they said that there were problems with the partitioning of my hard drive so I paid to have it fixed. It worked well today, when I was working from the battery - its a lap top.

However, tonight I came home all excited because I also got my memory increased from 256mb to 786mb (working memory or whatever its called) because it was so slow. However, once connected to all of the leads it came up with exactly the same error message. I switched the computer on and off several times all to no avail. Then, because it mentioned 'check cable' I though of turning it on without any power or anything else connected and it all started fine.
Can anyone advise what could be causing this??? I can take it back to the shop but don't want this to be the start of a long and costly relationship. Thanks heaps anyone who can offer any advice!!

dondino

dondino

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi there,i have the same problem. i have a feeling my problem is self-inflicted though.i installed ubuntu using wubi installer on windows vista and managed to get it running ok until i was updating some programs, which led my system to freeze and so i rebooted and ended up with the pxe-e61 error message. i have tried changing the boot order but i constantly get a message saying HD cannot be found, regardless of what my boot order is. i dont have a floppy drive and quite frankly am a bit stumped at what my options are. word is that the instable ubuntu causes this and am just exploring all possibilities on the net.would really appreciate any help! thanks in advance.

elle99

elle99

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the same problem on my HP laptop with a Hitachi hard drive. I have changed the boot order in Bios as well as disabled the network connectivity. While in the BIOS I tried the hardware diagnosis and it does not detect a hard drive. I put this hard drive in my son's laptop and I get the same error leaving me to conclude my hard drive is fried. I was on the I-net the night before downloading something, can't remember what when it stopped and then was requiring a purchase so I stopped. Could it be that the download wiped out my hard drive? I have ltried to reinstall windows but it will not setup because it says no hard drive is detected. Again leaving me to believe it is fried. My question is; under these circumstances can the data be recovered with any of the recovery programs out there and if so which ones? I have some family pics. I've been restoring that I have a lot of time invested in. I also have personal information on it such as my taxes and don't won't to take it somewhere to have this done. Thanks for your help.
Elle

samer13

samer13

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hiii all
i have got the same problem, media test failure ,check cable . but i have fixed it by changing the boot priority from the set up , the first boot was from the network , so i have changed it to cd-rom and the second one to HD, and the messege disappeared.
i wish i helped somone .

CrashOverride

CrashOverride

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi i had the same problem with my Gateway nv53a, it crashed on me one day and I couldn't get it to boot, it was 4gb ram I ugraded it to 8gb ram.

It was working awesome even with windows 7 home. but now I can't get it to boot,

The hdd was not recognized by the system bios or the boot options menu so I pulled the sata hdd and connected it to a pc with a sata to usb 2.0 cable

The pc recognized both the partitioned drives the system and storage, so I re installed the hdd on to the nv53a and tried again, no go,

So then I went back to the bios and boot menus and saw that the hdd WAS recognized by both menus and selected as the default boot device in both menus, and still no boot, so tried start up repair and NO DRIVE ERRORS FOUND AND STILL NO BOOT What the......??? I use this for work and can't buy a new one just yet.....HELP !!!!

Edited by CrashOverride, 25 June 2015 - 11:41 PM.