Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows system files damaged

• Please log in to reply

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hey guys, I'm fairly proficient with computers, but this is a little out of my field of knowledge.

I recently downloaded and ran a fine piece of software called Microsoft AntiSpyware after hearing much acclaim from friends...after the scan completed on my parent's PC, it prompted to reboot. I accepted and next thing I new, after it got past the BIOS screen, I get the following message:

Windows cannot boot because one or more system files are corrupted or missing...

\Windows\System32\Config\System\

Insert the Windows XP Professional Install Disc and press 'r' at the first screen.

----

Now, I have tried the following: Booting from Windows CD, going into repair console and running chkdisk with parameters /p and /r. No use.

I've tried following your guide in going into the windows install function on the CD and trying to repair the install. It isn't showing up on the partition list so I backed out.

I've tried using my computers ASR floppy disk but that failed.

Nothing has worked as of yet. And the reason I haven't just given up and gone to format is because I CANNOT LOSE THE DATA ON THE HARDDRIVE. It is imperative I get the documents off of there before I format.

My question is -- Can I pull the harddrive out of that computer, put it into this one as a slave, boot up my working install of windows and try and pull the documents off to a CD-R and then format it on my parents comp?

If I cannot is there anything else I can do to salvage the files on the HD before I must format?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
*Nothing to see here, move along, move long......lol*

Edited by Fenor, 01 October 2005 - 03:11 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

You could set is as a slave in another PC, though I would use the disc manufacturer's set up utility to format the drive when it has been returned to the PC you intend to run it in

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Window built in formatter should do the job as long as he deletes the current partition first and creates a new one while at the XP setup screen and then does a full, NOT QUICK, format of the drive in NTFS format.

Fenor

P.S. -- I apologize for not reading your post entirely before responding or I would have noticed that you already tried what I suggested :tazz:

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
edit: nvm on 3/4 of my post..

trying the 2nd option that Keith suggested.

Thanks for the help so far.

Edited by Novaprospekt, 01 October 2005 - 03:14 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Novaprospekt...

Have you tried this REPAIR to your installation of XP? This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

wannabe1

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok, I got upto step 5 on that microsoft guide and ran into a problem:

When I got to line 12 (copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system) it returned the following error "Cannot find the specified file"

Each copy command after that succeeded and when I exited recovery console, it still returned the error saying the \system\ is corrupt or missing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Using the manufacturer's utility is a follow on from the discussion Fenor and I had about a hard drive issue, the PC would blue screen regularly, since writing zeros to the drive, then running set up, which included full NTFS format, the PC has not blue screened

Which is the reason I suggested it, although it can add hours to the installation, overall, it can be a good move

I wouldn't format a drive any other way at the moment

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Wannabe1,

Yeah he did if you read the entire first post like I didn't. :tazz:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 01 October 2005 - 03:32 PM.

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Novaprospekt...

Have you tried this REPAIR to your installation of XP?  This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files.  You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key.  Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can.  Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

wannabe1

View Post

Well my parents computer is a Dell. And the Windows XP Professional CD that came with that is OEM I believe. This computer is custom built, however I also purchased OEM XP Pro (why pay another 100 bucks for retail?).

When I go into setup on that computer, there is no repair feature for that windows install. the Only repair it offers me on that CD is the console.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
On the screen where you have the option to use the RECOVERY CONSOLE, hit 'Enter' to Install Windows XP. On the next screen, after the screen where you hit 'F8' to agree with the Terms & Conditions yadda yadda yadda, you can then hit 'R' to do a REPAIR installation. Just choose the installation you want to repair and hit Enter and follow the on screen prompts.

Fenor

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
So yeah, Keith you think I should just pull it out and slave it into this computer to get the documents needed?

I will/do plan to format it back on that computer once the files needed are retrieved.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Using the manufacturer's utility is a follow on from the discussion Fenor and I had about a hard drive issue, the PC would blue screen regularly, since writing zeros to the drive, then running set up, which included full NTFS format, the PC has not blue screened

Which is the reason I suggested it, although it can add hours to the installation, overall, it can be a good move

I wouldn't format a drive any other way at the moment

View Post

You've fallen completely in love with UBCD haven't you Keith? :tazz:

Fenor :)

Novaprospekt

Novaprospekt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

you can then hit 'R' to do a REPAIR installation.  Just choose the installation you want to repair and hit Enter and follow the on screen prompts.

Fenor

View Post

There is no option to hit 'R' to repair.

It asks to select an empty partition.

When I select the main 80GB one, it warns that there's already an OS on the disk and proceeding can cause problems blah blah blah, and then hit F3 to format or something like that.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have a friend that has an XP CD, a non-OEM version that you can borrow to try the repair installation?