Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow booting

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's a tad much...

Let's clear the Prefetch folder.

Double click My Computer then Local Disk C: then Windows then Prefetch. Click "Edit" in the toolbar and choose "Select All". Right click on any file and choose "Delete". Exit any open windows and reboot. Then restart again.

The first boot will be a little long as the Prefetch folder is repopulated...time the second one for me.

wannabe1

Advertisements

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Wannabe,

On the Prefetch page, after i selected all and right clicked, no delete tab came on. so i selected all and simply hit the delete botton and it was sent to the recycle bin. i re-booted twice as you asked. the timing for the second boot was 2 minutes and 50 seconds. what you think, please?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well...we gained 15 seconds. Not much, huh?

When was the last time you defragged?

wannabe1

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
wannabe1,

i defragged last week. i do it often. u've been very positive about helping me men...i really appreciate. so where do you suggest i go from here?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Think I'll pull a little more talent in on this...stand by.

wannabe1

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
i appreciate alot. i'm here. thanks wannabe1

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok, wannabe...i'l take that route as you have suggested. i'l hit you back once i'm done. wish me goodluck....
thanks again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Luck, kalinbridg...And you are certainly welcome!

Keith's pretty sharp so this'll probably help. We've got just about everything else taken care of.

Please do keep me posted.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 October 2005 - 08:49 PM.

kalinbridg

kalinbridg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Dear wannabe,

i did all of what you recommended last. the booting time dropped to 2minutes 30 seconds. some improvements i must say. i just wish i could get it to a minute. that would really help. that's where i'm at for the now. i will welcome further thougts. My sincere appreciation for your patience and genuine interest in helping my dying computer. i guess i'l hear from you later today...sunday!
regards
Kalinbridg

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run Tune Up Start Up manager to check you have not got unnecessary programmes running