Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsers

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Which Browser Do You Use?

Which Browser Do You Use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Selections are sorted by their number of downloads from Download.com on the week ending June 20. Please see this link for the latest list and reviews.

There is more than just Internet Explorer you can use to surf the web. If you want more, or you just got bored with IE, try one of these alternative browsers. Most importantly, they are each much less susceptible to spyware, adware, hackers, viruses, broswer hijacks, unwanted toolbars, etc. In fact, I have not seen a user yet with any of these problems that uses an alternative brower. In addition to being safer, alternative browsers add many new features not seen in IE, such as; built-in popup blocking, tabbed browsing, download managers, and more. Another added bonus us you can personalize your new broswer with themes and extensions. Extensions are browser add-ons that add functionality to your browser. But unlike IE's add-ons, these are actually good! For example, you can hide ads in webpages, fill in forms automatically, login to sites without giving away any of your information, and more. Pratically anything you would want to your browser could do can be found its extenions download page. When you move to an alternative browser, you will still need to go back to Internet Explorer to get the latest critical security updates for Windows. Try them until you find one to suit your needs. <_<

Advertisements

trixie

trixie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

I been trying out different browsers lately, I'm hoping to move everyone on the comp to Mozilla (or opera) and changing the default from IE, but I'm a little scared to do so, :D

Anything I should keep in mind if I do this? I really like Opera but I think Mozilla would be better for the users in my family to adjust to <_<

Trixie

K-Dawg

K-Dawg

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I use a combination. I use Mozilla Firefox, but now i mostly use IE

Chexee

Chexee

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I prefer firefox, but it doesn't run too well on this computer. RUns peachy on my other. For now, its IE.

<3 Because FireFox has TABS.

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
FireFox all the way for me <_<

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
what are the benifiets to them?

Chexee

Chexee

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
IE is the common browser for most windows users, but it lets you get away with really messy coding, filters, and javascripts and is less secure than FireFox.

I've only used FireFox, IE, and for a short time Netscape and have found I like FireFox the best, though it runs slow on this computer. Firefox has nifty little tabs that lets you have different windows open without taking up too much space on your task bar. One of my pet peeves is a crowded taskbar. You can change the text size on any website, no matter if its set with a style sheet to be an exact size. This really comes in handy when people decide to make their text extra small. It also blocks pop ups and has a spiffy little google search bar in the corner.

A downside to Firefox is that it doesn't read some code that IE does, and since a lot of people use and code their web pages for IE, they may look a little funky in FireFox. I haven't found this a huge problem, so I don't mind so much. I like that FireFox doesn't show filters and some of the more annoying javascripts. Makes it less of an [bleep] to look at some sites.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
New Firefox Tweak Guide: http://www.tweakfact...s/firefoxtweak/

K-Dawg

K-Dawg

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
On the new firefox, how can i put the settings so when i click on a link, it come sup in a tab, not a new window?

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
K-Dawg,
Click on a link with your middle mouse button (or scroll-wheel). If you don't have either, hold down "Ctrl" while you click a link.

freek

freek

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I use Flashpeak Slimbrowser.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
You know there was a choice for "Slim Browser" in the poll?

Rgkarsr

Rgkarsr

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
<_< I useAOl and can browse the net but can not seem to open open IE by itself. All I get is a Window that says This Window Can Not Be Displayed. My IE icon does not have a shortcut attached to it.

BlackSea

BlackSea

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
in my opinion :D ie and opera are good couple (one of them heart of my os and the other one is security guard and tounge of my os between my room and world :D )...
it s hard to say about mozilla(heart of linux) because i did not use it much <_<

but it s the important thing if you are happy with your browser doesnt matter whatever you are using ( :P )

thanks

mrbub

mrbub

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, since I'm a W2K user I have IE for the windows Update. Other than that I like to some safer and better browsers and therefor have both Netscape and Firefox installed on my machine.

MrBub