Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Writer problem

• Please log in to reply

ts1

ts1

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi,

I posted a few weeks ago, I've tried a few other things. I can't find the previous post so I'll give an update:

I installed EAC and ended up in a situation where I could only burn with EAC. All other writers gave a verify error.

I've done some work on this and still haven't managed to sort it out... heres a summary:

- I uninstalled EAC, including clearing the EAC items from the registry (I followed the EAC uninstall guide for this)

- I followed the PC manufacturers guide to uninstall the CD driver.

- I have a HP PC with something called HP DLA on it. This is an alternate CD writer interface (I also uninstalled Record now). This takes me to XP CDR writer alone.

- Then I rebooted. XP found the "new" CD drive and installed it (hopefully back to the factory settings).

- Then I wrote a CDR using the standard XP writer... which seemed fine.

- Then I installed Nero, and managed a couple of successful CD writes (the verify checked out ok).

That was yesterday. Today, XP write seems ok but Nero is throwing a verify error up.

Does anyone have any ideas? :tazz:

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Is the verify error from Nero consistant? That is, same message, same sector and on different brands of disks?

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yes, I think it is it is.

I was becomming convinced that it was the CD writer... but somewhere in the process of installing/deinstalling - it gave a couple of good writes (one after the other). Then at the end - when I tried XP - that was fine.

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have CDR4_XP and CDRALW2K running (although I've never had Roxio installed).

I have renamed the drivers... moved them out of the drivers sys32 folder and they still manage to run. I would've thought that was impossible, but according to Nero's Cleanpack tools they are running.

After they start running, they don't reappear in the drivers folder.

Also, I can't find anything that appears to use the files.

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok, no replies and I think its a Roxio / Nero conflict (that seems to be impossible to get rid of). I'll put a post in the software/application forum.

I hope this is ok, with no advice it seems the best way to go. Appologies if its not.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Start>Run> in the dialog box type "services.msc" see if roxio has any services running if it does then under service type click on stop.

Then to stop it from restarting on the next reboot under startup type disable it.

I duno if this is any help but just a thought.

Rick

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi Rick,

I've just checked, Roxio/Adaptec have nothing running in services.misc. I've got WinPatrol and have been through all the startup and service tasks. The only CDR related one I can find is imapi.exe. According to info on the link below, I shouldn't mess with that:

http://www.processlibrary.com/

All other processes check out fine with the process library. Except some DLL's which it doesn't know about (if you know somewhere I can check out DLL's I can go through those as well).

I do have an adaware log (showing processes) that looks clean to me. In the Nero info log I have the following:

Driver : Cdr4_xp
Description : n/a
Version : n/a
Company : n/a

Driver : Cdralw2k
Description : n/a
Version : n/a
Company : n/a

These files don't exist on my PC (unless they're bundled in a file with a different name?). The old log I have, where they were on the PC, did show the descrition, company name and version. Maybe they've gone?

I'll try a write later today and see if it works.... unless anyone has any other ideas?

If I can post any log info that might be useful, I'll be happy to :tazz:

ts1

ts1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
A positive update (I hope):

This did end up as a double post (apologies, as I said I honestly thought I'd asked the question in the wrong place). No harm done... in:

http://www.geekstogo...=0

stallionsims:

May be you can try this small uninstall utility from Roxio site it self
http://www.roxio.com...ee6000061.jhtml
http://softwareupdat...ols/roxizap.exe
follow the instructions and use the roxio zap utility to get rid off roxio programs.
post if it worked.

I did this, this gets rid of Roxio 4 or 5 (I did have Roxio 4, which in took out manually - look up for more info). However, the Nero info log still says the drivers are active (look up for more info) and the Nero cleaning tool still try's to get rid of them. I'm not sure that it made any difference but the tool is much easier than following the instructions!

I tried a couple of burns in Nero and they were both fine (I did both with a verify). So, it looks like my problem maybe solved (a few more burns will give me some confidence).

I'm still a bit concerned that I seem to have some Roxio debris hanging around somewhere. If anyone has any idea on how I can get rid of it, I'll be grateful. Also, for the record in case someone else has a similar issue, the burning software I used before all this was HPRecordNow. I'm not reinstalling this but it was also giving me similar problems/verify errors.

Also, I've got rid of my standard audio player and library just in case it was part of the problem. I'm looking for a Nero compatible replacement (Nero's player doesn't seem to have a library). I'll ask in applications.

Thanks to all who helped/gave me hints. My hope is that I won't add more problems to this thread!
:tazz: