Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help me out understand these directions thanks

• Please log in to reply

mrhunta

mrhunta

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
im reading these directions online that sy go to my regerstryedit32 and do this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Detect what are the directions indecateing i do with this path do i paste it some where and it will find the folder and if its telling me to do this mauley witch i serousley doubt what are the backward slashs for thanks if i get any help pretty much all i need to know is where do i imput this path into my computer thanks agin

geekstogo rules :tazz:

Edited by mrhunta, 20 October 2005 - 04:24 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi mrhunta!

To go to the registry editor, you go to STAR-->RUN and type in regedit. You will then see the heading that starts with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. You will notice the '+' symbol next to it. Hit that and you will see it expand and show another list of items, click the '+' symbol next to SOFTWARE. And so on and so forth for the other items.

One thing I would point out though, is that you not touch anything in the registry if you don't know anything about it, because you can cause alot of harm to your system. Make sure to back up your registry before changing anything. To do this, when you first enter the registry using regedit, right click on the MY COMPUTER heading and choose EXPORT from the list. Save it somewhere on your computer (call it BACKUP) so in case your computer acts up after you modify the registry entry(s) you are able to restore it back to it's original condition by double-clicking on the backup.reg file you saved earlier.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 20 October 2005 - 08:01 AM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Be careful when messing with the registry. Be sure to make a backup before you do anything else. It would be helpful if I knew what it was that you were trying to do. To access the registry editor, you go to start, run and type regedit

This opens up the editor. You will see the folders displayed. The one you are looking for is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. If you expand it (click the + and it changes to -, opens files below). you will see SOFTWARE, click on the + to expand it and you will see folders below it, you want micosoft, same thing, click the + to expand it and see folders below, then Window, expand it and see Current Version etc...

This is how you do it. Like I said at the beginning, it is dangerous to mess with this if you don't know what you are doing, so make a backup before you make any changes. If you don't do that, and you computer won't boot after you made changes, you MAY be able to find a restore point that works but I recommend you back it up! (and M$ would agree, in fact at the beginning of any procedure where you mess with it, this is the first thing they tell you)

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
that kinda helped but when i get to the end of the instructions it ses open detect folder and the detect folder isent there under current version dous any one thing they could help me thanks????