Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen goes blank when I right-click a movie file

• Please log in to reply

seegoon

seegoon

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Whenever I right click on a .avi or .mpg file, my monitor goes blank for about one and a half seconds, before returning back to the screen as it was before, with the right-click menu displayed and everything else apparently functioning perfectly.

The only recent changes I have made to my computer are the installation of wireless Logitech peripherals - a mouse and keyboard. I'm not sure if that's relevant, but this seems to have only been happening for the past two days and didn't appear to be happening straight after the new hardware was installed. That said, I could be wrong.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check for updated video card drivers

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Check for updated video card drivers

No joy I'm afraid. Just ran ewido, it found masses of stuff but the problem persists...

Curager

Curager

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey the same thing is happening to me as well. When I right click on a avi file the screen goes blank for a second. This also happen when window first loads and when I click on the advanced button in display properties. This also started to happened not while ago. Just wondering what kind of monitor and video card do you have? Is it an Geforce Fx 5200 by any chance? Also is your hide modes that this monitor cannot display greyed out?

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It's an nVidia 6800GT. But I'm not sure if that's the issue, I've had the card for a couple of months and this problem only arose a couple of days ago. But yeah, the screen does go blank in advanced properties, and that drop-down list is greyed out. Did you ever solve the problem?

Curager

Curager

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeh its strange first I thought its a driver issue so I tried the same driver (81.85_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql) on my other comp Geforce 6600 go and none of the above occurs. So my only guess its our monitors or maybe some video software. Gonna try a refomat hope that fixes the problem.
Yeh a friend suggested it might be some spyware or trojan. I scanned my comp and it "seem" to be clean.

Edited by Curager, 24 October 2005 - 06:01 AM.

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
What monitor are you working with? I'm on a Samsung SyncMaster 171s. It's just possible it might be some incompatability between video card and monitor.

Something else just sprung to mind. I'm using an extension cable to link my monitor to my computer; maybe some data's being lost in the changeover from cable to cable. It's unlikely and makes no sense, but to be honest I'm completely stumped.

Curager

Curager

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Its a LG flatron F700B and unless its brocken or something I don't think its an incompatability issue because I been using this setup for the last 2 years and seem to be fine until a month ago. Did you install any sofwares such as video codecs, or image editing programs?

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I just installed the software that comes with the Logitech keyboard and mouse, the new iTunes, and Black and White 2.

Curager

Curager

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey I just fixed my problem turned out to be just a loose plug on the back. Lucky I discovered it before a reformat. Anyway maybe your problem is the the same check for loose plugs

Advertisements

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
If I were so lucky. Were you by any chance using a HD15 to DVI adapter? Maybe mine's busted...

Curager

Curager

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Nope just a normal monitor video cable. Well good luck on finding out whats wrong with your comp. I have also posted this on another forum and someone suggested it might be the following:

" You might have a problem with a context menu entry in Windows Explorer.

Have you installed or uninstalled anything that adds a context menu entry recently? Like when you right click on a file and get options like 'Open with WinRAR' etc.

It may be that one of the entries is corrupt, or wasn't removed when it should have been.

Also, did you uninstall the old video drivers before installing the latest ones?

Cheers"

and

" Window tries (badly) to show the preview window for AVI, yet it still sucks...
This has caused a number of know issues, and i'm guessing it is ralated to yours too.
I read somewhere to disable previews for avis run this

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

and it should unload the media previewer
To reload it

regsvr32 shmedia.dll"

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks, will try those things.

seegoon

seegoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thinking about it, the preview isn't the problem, because that comes up without any problems. It seems like it's probably something in the context menu, if anything.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something that hasn't been mentioned is codecs, the player may be looking for codecs and having to download them from the web. Naturally it can't do much till the codec is installed.