Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

insufficent system resources

• Please log in to reply

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi, i would if anybody could help? I have XP on my computer and it keeps coming up with "insufficent system resources exist". I have defraged, checked for viruses and spyware but with no success. I have not downloaded anything for a while so it is not that. My service provider says that there are no internet problems. I have checked my connections and they are all ok. Help!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
How much RAM (Physical Memory) does your computer have and how much of that is free? Take a look at the screenshot attached for exactly the information I want.

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• memoryInfo.JPG

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thanks for the reply. Just wondering for future reference why you needed to know this? In answer to your questions: Total =515568 available=185513 cache=270064

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Now how big is your hard drive that windows is installed on and how much free space is left?

Fenor

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
120gb with about 65gb left

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering for future reference why you needed to know this? In answer to your questions: Total =515568 available=185513 cache=270064

That is the amount of memory available on your system. When your system says "Insufficient resources exist" it is usually referring to a lack of available memory or, in some cases, a lack of sufficient hard drive space. Fenor is just trying to determine if either of these is the cause, although at a guess I would say no. 512mb of RAM is plenty for most anything and 65gb of free space is much more than enough.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Agreed Matt.F. What I would like for you to do now is go to START-->RUN and type msconfig. Click on the STARTUP tab and take a screenshot and post it of the items listed that have checkmarks in the checkboxes next to them. If they don't all fit in one screenshot, please scroll down the list and take another screenshot and post that as well.

Fenor

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Do you think that I have some sort of memory leak? If she how can I rectify that?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Take a look at Disable unnecessary services to free system resources

Murray

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
How about interrupt request lines? They're a resource too. You might want to go into System Information where ALL the resources are listed and do some checking.