Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New bfg tech 7800 gtx oc 512 mb

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Take a look at the 7800 gtx oc 512MB by Bfg tech.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143044

Core clock 580MHz
PixelPipelines 24

Memory Clock 1750MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type GDDR3

On the 512 mb version nvidia decided to up the core clock speed and the memory clock speed. It was going to be called the 7800 gtx ultra, but they decided to keep the gtx name and just raise the memory size to 512mb.

http://www.nforcersh...rticle4423.html

Wow! the memory clock speed is faster than that of the x1800 xt now...

Edited by jrm20, 15 November 2005 - 09:27 AM.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
HOLY [bleep]!!!!!!!!! (excuse my language)

a review of this card on newegg.com says that one guy built a sli system with 2 of these! omg!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Lmao yeah, it just came out and I posted the link soon after it became available.

Looks like a great card.

Edited by jrm20, 15 November 2005 - 02:53 PM.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
The extra ram deosnt really help in performance . A website (TR i think) did a review and underclocked it to the gtx speed and it s performance was the same as the gtx. In later games it will prolly helpp but not now. The extra clock ipeed is the think that helped it.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
yeah, for most games 128 is enough, and not much better performace with 256, (512 is far more than you need for now) but i'm really excited about that 580MHz gpu, and 1740MHz mem clock.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Its more than just extra ram, I know what im talking about the final speed is the gigabytes per second which is the Memory Clock, Memory Size, Memory Interface, Memory Type, agp 4X/8X or pci express, pixel pipeline and the RAMDAC all added together and thus the final outcome is the gigabytes per second...
Always look at the gigabytes per second when looking at the speeds, it matters most because it is the final number.

The 7800 gtx 256MB has this stock:

450 MHz GPU
1200 MHz (effective)
38.4 GB/s Memory Bandwidth

The 7800 gtx 512MB has this stock:

550 MHz GPU
1.7GHz (1700 MHz)
54.4GB/s

They raised the gpu speed also and that certainly matters. Look at the difference between the GB/s on the 7800 gtx 256MB vs the 7800 gtx 512MB.

Some companies like Bfg and xfx will overclock some of their cards from the factory and the speed will be a little higer than stock.

Edited by jrm20, 17 November 2005 - 08:47 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I found out more info on the 7800 gtx 512MB version.

The ati X1800 xt 512MB has 48 GB/s which is everything added together.

The nvidia 7800 gtx 512MB has 54.4GB/s.

People say that they perform about equal but the 7800 gtx 512 MB is actually faster look at the final number.

Benchmarks..

http://www.hexus.net...em=3904&page=11

The 7800 gtx 512MB beat the x1800 xt 512MB in every game except in farcry..

Edited by jrm20, 17 November 2005 - 09:09 AM.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i also hear alot that SLI will definately kick crossfire's [bleep]. some of my friends agree that ati is going downhill with everyone loving the geforce 7 series. the gb/s of the nvidia cards are proving superior.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah, both nvidia and ati are great. When I help someone decide on a video card I will suggest either brands. If they have a budget I will get them the fastest card possible for there budget and sometimes ati is cheaper.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i will give you that, i think ati's lower end cards are better performance than nvidia, but when it comes to high end, i saw some charts and it appears as though that a system with 2 ati x850's in a crossfire setup was just A COUPLE FRAMES faster than ONE geforce 7800 gtx. i know sli isnt really double the performance of one card, but still it would prove sli still to be the fastest option.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah, my choice is still nvidia.

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
mine too

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i dont agree with your opinons on Nvidia, time and time again Nvidia(intel are guilty of this too) make hardware with great paper performance but cant put out when it comes to actual in game performance. That is where ATI always out do Nvidia the most important factor in performance of a card isnt its memory bandwidth it is the cards design and its efficiency. Nvidia cards are horribly inneficeint especially the first releases of the cards, they also completely cut the corner of anti aliasing which really disappointed me, ive used cards from both companies and in terms of value and real performance nvidia have let the consumer down year after year of late.

I agree i always reccomend the best card for the money and i always buy the best card for the money but alot of the nvidia i just wouldnt reccomend , in fact i think i would only reccomend the new GS.

And crossfire i dont know what reviews you guys have been reading becasue they latest ones i read gave some very good reveiws outpacing a similarly matched SLI system by a siginifcant amount. (x800xls vs 6800GTs i think). I read a review that was the two x800s that equaled one 7800GTX not the x850s the x850s got about 20% better in framerate but they really gave a great performance when the AA and AF was used and the two cards were able to do it much better than the single faster cards from both ATI and Nvidia.

Ill go with whatever looks to give best value for money and performance and for the last couple of years thats been ATI. Although i do like the look of the GS its been significantly made more efficient. And lets not forget Nvidia has released all its cards for this year ATI still has the R580s to come and the leaked parts of the technical report of its production was promising indeed, its actually cheaper to produce than any of the highest performing cards released at the moment so prices should be good, especially since ATI have always and still are beating nvidia on prices.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I was just comparing the ati x1800 xt 512MB against the nvidia 7800 gtx 512MB.

The 7800 gtx 512MB won against the ati x1800 xt 512MB.

It won 8 out of 9 games.

http://www.hexus.net...em=3904&page=11

What I was saying, I would rather have the nvidia 7800 gtx 512MB. My opinion.

These were the cards specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 512, 512MB (G70)
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX, 256MB (G70)
ATI Radeon X1800 XT, 512MB (R520)

yes that is a x1800 xt 512MB, the nvidia 7800 gtx 512MB beat it. The x1800 xt 512MB is just a couple of percent faster than the 256MB version of the 7800 gtx...

Quoted from a page on that site..... fatcual info...

"the GTX 512 is easily the fastest hardware on test, besting the X1800 XT by nearly 35% at 1920x1200. The game is playable at that resolution by everything, the X1800 XT just outrunning the original GTX by a couple of percent at those settings."

Edited by jrm20, 19 November 2005 - 04:08 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
See i read two reviews on the X1800 a month ago that gave a 20% faster speed than the 256Mb 7800GTX, but it depends on the test rig so i would be a little wary.

PS gave it a quick read through and i dont think that would be reliable as it showed the x1800 slower than the GTX in alot of cases where in the other reviews the GTX was absoltuely slaughtered by the x1800, i think they may be using an early reference card or something but those benchmarks especailly in game seem off. I have been searching through my history to try and find it but i cant go further back from when i upgraded to the 1.5rc2 but ill look through my collection of favourite tech sites tommorow of i have the time(bloomin tests in two weeks, they said first year was going to be easy)

Edited by warriorscot, 19 November 2005 - 05:55 PM.