Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rundll32.exe missing

• Please log in to reply

dakafall

dakafall

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have had a crack file (d/l'd off of limewire) a few days ago, it wouldnt delete off of desktop, and it kept multiplying and dumping about 200 differently named icons all over my desktop (example: heroes of might: IV no cd crack, Grand Turismo III no cd crack etc...). I think i deleted everything and havent had to deal with that anymore, but when i got on today i cant open any programs, the "Open With" program comes up with everything. I suspect that the "worm" or w/e it was corrupted or deleted my rundll32.exe file and it might be missing. I downloaded a new rundll32.exe file but i cant figure out where to put it, or if that is even the problem. Please give suggestions to how i might solve this problem before i have to just reformat.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dakafall...

RUNDLL32.exe belongs in the System32 folder. (C:\Windows\System32). Copy the downloaded file, navigate to the system32 folder, paste it into this folder, and accept the prompt to replace or overwrite the current file.

Reboot the machine and see if there is an improvement.

You might want to go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here at the top of the page. That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

dakafall

dakafall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
just replaced rundll32.exe file in C:/windows/system32 file, rebooted. Problem still exists.

Edited by dakafall, 17 November 2005 - 08:54 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
dakafall...

Let's let the malware experts deal with this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

dakafall

dakafall

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
10-4, i somehow found the right file to open with, and installed and ran clean up and freed almost a gig, then i ran/am still running ewido security suite and it found sometkhing called worm.krepper...doesnt sound good, but this program is pretty good...ill continue to work on this and post again if it doesnt take care of my problem, i apprecate it a lot, if i wasnt broke at the moment i would make a donation, but ill keep u guys in mind next time i find monies

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dakafall...

Getting your machine running right is the priority, not money. You can donate to the site if you wish, but I personally don't take donations...I'm a "freebie"... :)

I figured there was some kind of junk onthe machine...rundll32 problems often run hand in hand with malware. Sites such as Limewire are notorious for loading you up with it. Keep going with the preliminary work and then post a HiJackThis log in the Malware Forum for the experts to look at...some of that stuff can be pretty tough to remove and the folks there are excellent at cleaning things up. :tazz:

Keep us posted on your progress...

wannabe1