Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Download Files After Installing XP

• Please log in to reply

Danimagus

Danimagus

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I posted this in the Internet forum, but I don't think it has anything to do with the Internet... and probably everything to do with XP, which I just reinstalled Windows XP.

Trillian Pro, McAfee, AIM, iTunes, MPEGs, and basically everything are all not downloading right. I keep getting error messages, saying that the files are corrupt or that the installation program needed to close. Since I reformatted, it can't be a virus, though, right? Also, I am able to download these programs from other computers and take them over to my own via my iPod. I can take them off the iPod and install them without difficulty. But, still, if I try to download them myself, I get errors.

More specifically, the problem seems to be with downloading the files correctly and extracting them properly. Take Winzip for example. I download the file and I get a message saying that a file in the ZIP is damaged, "Possible cause: file transfer error."

Another example. A friend says me a zip over the Trillian chat program (which I was only able to install by downloading it on another computer, bringing it home on my iPod and installing that way). I get the message "Unexpected end of file" and I cannot extract the files. It must be something to do with the way my computer is downloading files, since I can install them just fine if I downloaded them on another computer and brought them to mine on my iPod.

Trying to install AIM gives me a message saying the installation file is incomplete...

Does that help explain the problem more specifically? Hope someone can figure this out! It's reaaaaaally annoying.

This may be of note; I've had some difficulty re-downloading my drivers as well. I can't get my printer set up, for example. So, if my drivers could be a problem...

Oh, and also I note that it may be a problem with extracting the files. I just downloaded and tried to install AVG (the spyware software you guys suggest), and got this error:

"Extracting files.dat
CRC failed in files.dat
Extracting setup.dat
CRC failed in setup.dat
Extracting setup.lns
CRC failed in setup.lns
Extracting setuphu.lns
CRC failed in setuphu.lns
Extracting setupit.lns
CRC failed in setupit.lns
Extracting setupnl.lns
CRC failed in setupnl.lns
Extracting setuppl.lns
CRC failed in setuppl.lns
Extracting setupsc.lns
CRC failed in setupsc.lns
Extracting setupsp.lns
CRC failed in setupsp.lns"

Here's my HijackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:10:04 PM, on 12/1/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
d:\progra~1\mcafee\mcafee antispyware\massrv.exe
d:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
d:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe
D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcIp.exe
D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcAppFlt.exe
D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
D:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nTrayFw.exe
D:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\masalert.exe
D:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
D:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
D:\Documents and Settings\Dan Youngren\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nTrayFw] D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nTrayFw.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] d:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [_AntiSpyware] d:\progra~1\mcafee\MCAFEE~1\masalert.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] D:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE D:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] D:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\\Steam.exe -silent
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: d:\windows\system32\nvappfilter.dll
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcaf...01/mcinsctl.cab
O23 - Service: ForceWare Intelligent Application Manager (IAM) - Unknown owner - D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcAppFlt.exe
O23 - Service: Forceware Web Interface (ForcewareWebInterface) - Unknown owner - D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\Apache Group\Apache2\bin\apache.exe" -k runservice (file missing)
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - D:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee AntiSpyware Service - McAfee, Inc. - d:\progra~1\mcafee\mcafee antispyware\massrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - d:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - d:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - D:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: ForceWare IP service (nSvcIp) - NVIDIA - D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcIp.exe
O23 - Service: ForceWare user log service (nSvcLog) - NVIDIA - D:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - D:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

Thanks a lot. Let me know if there's any other information you'd like.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I've had those 'CRC' error messages myself and traced it to bad or incompatible sticks of RAM. Added any RAM recently? Or old RAM may have developed a fault. I added a stick of 'no name' RAM to my existing 'Integral' brand RAM and got 'CRC' errors as soon as I tried to install any software. I removed the 'no name' stick of RAM and everything was fine again. 'CRC' errors are not always caused by bad/incompatible RAM, it may also be some other internal harware fault, but it was incompatible RAM in my case. I don't think it's a software problem or a virus. More likely a hardware issue as it's affecting everything you try to do. Even a failing hard disk is a possibility.

Edited by pip22, 04 December 2005 - 05:03 AM.

Danimagus

Danimagus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Any way to check my computer for those kinds of faults without fiddling about with the hardware, taking things out, replacing them, and doing the trial-by-error thing?

This is just bizarre. My computer was working just fine before I reinstalled Windows, except for some Internet slowdown and a persistant virus. Both those problems were eliminated by reformatting. And what really boggles my brain is that my computer is next to new. My brother and I built it less than six months ago.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Check all your cables and plugs.....first before any thing else. Thing could be very simple, lots more than you thought. A cheap conector or type of ram can cause that. .Ram sticks are not the same and some of them not going to work on any opperating system other than the one that intalled. But try the plugs and conectors first.

Danimagus

Danimagus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well, I've made sure everything is secured, and the problem remains... Every file I download still is corrupted.

Danimagus

Danimagus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Any other suggestions? Still can't properly download anything...

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Check your PM

Danimagus

Danimagus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Alright, I tried removing and rotating out my RAM, but the problem remains. This is a new computer (only six months old) and I wasn't cheap about it. I bought two 512 sticks of Kingston Technology RAM...

Also, I've started getting this error, starting with when I tried to download and install the Gmail Notifier:

NSIS Error

The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.
THis could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.

You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy.

It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch
(NOT RECOMMENDED).

Edited by Danimagus, 10 December 2005 - 04:02 PM.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Now to me it come right back to RAM. It could be physical damaged but since it is Kingston I would say it is physically good(99%). Try to shut the last program you installed just before it happen off or even uninstall it complettly and try to see if the problem go away. It sound now just like the two program asking for same Ram address at the same time and the one that is running will kick the othe out.

Danimagus

Danimagus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
But this started happening immediately after I reformatted my hard drive and installed XP. Ergo, as far as I can see, there were no programs at all competing for anything.

Danimagus

Danimagus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Could it just be something to do with my Internet connection? My TCP/IP info?

Amoureuxe

Amoureuxe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Omg! I thought I was the only one suffering from this problem. A lot of my downloads (expecially compressed files, ZIP, EXE, etc) come out with a CRC error or "Unexpect End of File" error. The odd thing is these are fairly reliable sites and files that I'm downloadng (itunes installer, game demos from gamespot, AIM installer, Firefox installer) and they all either cant be opened, or in the middle of installation tell me its a corrupt file. I've tried everything, I've tried reformatting, reinstalling windows, running adware, mcafee, (recently taking out the extra 512 RAM i took from my old computer after reading this thread) etc. Nothing works.

The computer is fairly new, i built it less than 2 months ago. The problem comes and goes but recently its been fairly constant.

Is RAM the most likely cause? I took out the old 512 i had put there to supplement it and now its running strictly on brand new 512x2 dual channel ram.

Thanks

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I just experienced this problem just the way you do. After I reload one of my older comp(P3) and old this hapen to me. And the problem I found was My chipset driver. The machine few years back was a monster of the time and the main chip set on motherboard is VIA chip set. The driver for it is never certified by microsoft.....
Any way, this time when I reload it, I though I lost the CD and I use the one I had downloaded and as I mentioned I ran into this problem .
After Play with it for half of day, I realized what was wrong since I so familiar to this machine and its behavier And this is what I did to fix it.
It got to be the right order.
-Reload fresh XP
-Load chip set driver FROM CD THAT COME WITH THE BOARD
-Update XP
-After these you can do every thing as norm.
Remember the key thing is load chipset driver from the original disc right after fresh XP and ,in my experience, use the original driver only.
Hope this can help you. Merry chrismas.

Amoureuxe

Amoureuxe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I reinstalled xp and no luck. I even used another pair of RAM cards so I doubt that its that, any other suggestions?

Also. I am now home from the dorms and using a completely different internet connection (Cable as opposed to university LAN) and the problem persists.

Edited by Amoureuxe, 24 December 2005 - 04:49 PM.

erickreid

erickreid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i read this thread and was like, "yes! that is exactly what i'm seeing!" in my case, it turned out, after stepping thru a number of other experimental solutions, to be the nvidia client firewall that was munging my downloads. more details here. hth.