Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Sonic Update Manager" on Dell PC Dimension E510 Bootup

• Please log in to reply

pgp

pgp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
On bootup, the Windows Installer says that it is looking for "Sonic Update Manager" disk. Then is states that "the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available".

If you try to CNX all this stuff out, it takes multiple and I mean multiple trys before it goes away.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you installed Sonic / Update or been to the Sonic site to update

pgp

pgp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Keith. Which specific download or update should I get?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel then add / remove and post the Sonic / Record now entries

Or ask Sonia

http://support.sonic...vd&type=desktop

Type sonic update manager then put the dot in it always tries to update then look for the link to download an update for it

[attachment=5436:attachment]

pgp

pgp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks!! I'll give it a try. If I go silent, the it worked!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you do not mind, posting to say it worked (or didn't) is more useful to anyone who looks at the post

hpearn

hpearn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What's the purpose of the Sonic software? :tazz: What's the best way to address this? And would you recommend doing the update? Thanks a bunch! H

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it runs then you do not need to update it, there should be an option to not check for updates

OR

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter and click start up, remove the tick for sonic update manager, click apply, reboot

When windows gets to the desktop, tick do not start the configuration utilty when windows starts

Yvonne131

Yvonne131

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had this same problem and I'm sorry to say that none of the fixes here worked. I had to get help from someone much more computer literate than me and even he had problems because when you try to remove it from startup using msconfig it is listed as something unrecognisable. Even when we removed all Sonic programs (Roxio included) another Sonic message still appeared. You don't actually need this program as Windows XP performs this function anyway. He eventually downloaded a nifty little program called Easycleaner www.personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm which made it easy to identify all Sonic components and remove them. Hope this helps! :tazz:

PatRoskam

PatRoskam

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The two processes to remove from startup using msconfig are "issch" and "isuspm". Also, these processes can be killed directly from within Task Manager if they've already started. Both are part of Roxio's MyDVD LE that comes bundled on new systems. The software's garbage, for the most part, so you may just want to remove it entirely in Add/Remove Programs. Let me know if you're still having problems after this.

Advertisements

Yvonne131

Yvonne131

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Pat I wish I'd read this when we were first having problems but as I say the easycleane program got rid of it for us. Many thanks for the posting. Yvonne :tazz:

Edited by Yvonne131, 12 March 2006 - 04:29 AM.

PatRoskam

PatRoskam

• Pip
  • 3 posts
No problem. The reply was actually for anyone else who just got a new system (especially a Dell) with this particular bundled software, as you said you had already resolved your issue. I personally can't stand all these stripped versions of software that come preinstalled on these machines, and will probably start formatting and reinstalling the OS on all future computers as soon as they come out of the box. It's the only way to know what you're getting.

SLeeCa

SLeeCa

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't understand what the big fuss is. I actually do like Sonic and I like keeping it. I have an Inspiron and have the same problem described here. I went to the Sonice site, downloaded a hotfix, ran it, and it was taken care of. 5 mins max. Never have the same problem again. Sometimes when the finger is a little sore there is no need to cut it off. If you actually don't care for the Sonic software I suppose you did the right thing.

PatRoskam

PatRoskam

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Don't get me wrong, I don't have any agenda against Sonic/Roxio. I actually like the full version of Easy Media Creator, though I prefer Adobe Premiere Elements. It's more about the way vendors bundle this software on their systems with little regard for clean integration. Who knows, maybe the drive images Dell has been using are starting to fall out of date a bit, and they weren't always so problematic. It would just be nice to have the option of a clean OS install instead of a stock image cluttered with functionality-stripped freebies.

Yvonne131

Yvonne131

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Pat I completely agree. Vendors are putting packages on new pc's that you haven't asked for and cause problems. Fine if they want to supply them on a disk in case they're needed but why complicate matters.