Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

scesrv.dll problems...

• Please log in to reply

fliphop

fliphop

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Last night my computer was working fine as usual until I shut it down. Now when I try booting it up, I get an error that states " The application failed to start because SCESRV.dll was not found. Re-install the application may fix the problem ". I can't do anything after clicking the X, or Ok because when I do, I get a black screen with just a Mouse cursor on it. Even in safe mode, it does nothing.. What should I do?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi fliphop!

Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself.

Fenor

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I don't have the installation disk any more. I lost that a while back, anything else I can do? Well, the safe mode ran up, can I just get the Dll and put it in a floppy and move it directly into the correct folder?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes you could do that. Make sure you put it in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.

Fenor

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Okay, I'll try that, I'll post if anything happens.

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Do I put it here "C:\Windows\System32\dllcache"

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Do I put it here "C:\Windows\System32\dllcache"

No, that is where backups of your dll files are located. You can try COPYING & PASTING the SCESRV.DLL file from the dllcache folder to C:\WINDOWS\System32.

Fenor

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
At safe mode I am unable to even copy and paste anything. When I put copy, the pasting doesn't work. What should I do?

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, If I don't have my XP disk, could I use a friends disk?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

At safe mode I am unable to even copy and paste anything. When I put copy, the pasting doesn't work. What should I do?

How exactly are you trying to copy and paste the file from the dllcache filder to the system32 folder?

Fenor

Advertisements

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I tried 2 ways of trying to put the dll into the system32 folder. I tried to manually drag the file into the system32 folder but it seems like in safe mode, nothing cannot be dragged. I tried right clicking at the dll file and putting copy. Then when I go to the system32 folder, I right click and for some reason, the paste button is unable to be used. It is as if I never tried copying it. I also tried cutting it and pasting it but that didn't work either.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you have the ability to burn cds, then please download Recovery Console. If you are using nero, you burn it by choosing RECORDER-->BURN IMAGE and select the RC.ISO file.

Once you have it burned, keep the newly made Recovery Console cd in the drive and reboot/turn on the computer. When you get the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. You will then need to hit 1 to log into your Windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Adminstrator password since it is blank, unless you have changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS, type copy C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache\scesrv.dll C:\Windows\System32 exactly as it is written here. Once that is done, type chkdsk /p /r. This will do a VERY THOROUGH check of your hard drive AND Windows files. This will take awhile so be patient. Once it is completed, type Exit and take out the CD. Your computer will now reboot itself.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 29 December 2005 - 02:10 PM.

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Will this delete any files in my hard drive?

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
If I don't have nero, do I just burn it as a data disk?

fliphop

fliphop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thank you so much! It works!! You're awsome!