Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

which Anti-Virus?

• Please log in to reply

Ben-416

Ben-416

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
HI which antivirus is the best to go for? after my last dealings with a virus i'm going to get my self some good internet security.Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
For free, avg antivirus and avast home edition

Paid for: Kapersky and Nod32

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi, Ben...

The ones to stay away from are Norton and McAfee...both are quite glitchy and are resource hogs... :tazz:

Avast and AVG Free are both good AV applications and are free. Both also offer full featured versions that you can purchase. I use the free version of Avast and have never had an infection on this machine.

You'll also want a firewall. Again, there are free firewalls available that are very effective. Sygate and Zonealarm both offer free and full featured versions. I prefer the Sygate firewall as the Zonealarm can sometimes be a bit troublesome.

There are links to the free downloads of both Avast and Sygate in my signature... :)

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 February 2006 - 12:36 PM.

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
HI thanks for the help,I was using AVG free when i had this huuuuuuuuuge problem lol...what do you thin k I should do?I am only using the windows XP firewall,I tried the zone alarm firewall a while ago and i couldent get on with it.I will give it another go.Thanks

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hi,

I now have Zonealarm,i was wondering should I now dissable the windows firewall?

also i have another sort of problem,when ever I am downloading something the web page i am trying to view comes back with the 'has taken too long to respond' error,it didnt use to do this? I appreciate it will be slow loading but i keep geting this problem?

thanks

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
my internet seems to be acting weird,theres a webpage that I know has sposnor logos down the side but they dont appear to me,in either IE or FireFox.I have check with my friend who say's they are their on his comp..whats the deal?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
...which is why he said zonealarm is at times quirky....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that seemed a bit abrupt....we could probably answer the question better if you said what website

Zonelarm will block animated gifs, it will block connections to third-party servers (this can be an issue if a website hosts images on a third party server)

We would need more info to adequately diagnose the issue

Ben-416

Ben-416

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
what ifno do you need? the website is www.motox.tv is it not possible to allow animated gif's etc?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, it is, but you will have to hunt through the settings for it...I simply do not like zonealarm and don't have it on my machine, so I cannot tell you how.

That said, those are not animated gifs on the side, but ads...it would no surprise me if zonealarm is also blocking those, since they are hosted on the server in a folder called "Ads"

dpica

dpica

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
All i have to say is i've been using PC-cillin for 4 years with no problems :tazz:
i just renewed with Pc-cillin 2006 today. For the price it is well worth it

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Zone Alarm, privacy, ad blocking, which needs to be off, you can test it by logging in here to see if the log in is animated