Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need to upgrade my power supply?

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok as I have mentioned a couple times now in other threads, i recently gave my computer a decent upgrade. It had a pentium III 500mhz processor with 512 megs of pc-100 memory.

I installed a new motherboard, Sempron 2800+ cpu, and 1 gig of 3200 ddr memory.

it currently has a 300 watt power supply, do I need to upgrade it to 400 watts?

heres the specs on the board.

AMD Socket 754 Type
Biostar GForce 6100-M7 nVidia Chipset ATX Socket 754 Motherboard
800MHz FSB for AMD Athlon64, and Sempron 2600+ CPU's
takes up to 2 DDR2100, DDR2700, or DDR3200 RAM Sticks,
has PCIx SLOT, and Internal nVidia GeForce 6100 Video,
8 USB 2.0, 3 PCI Slots, floppy, ATA133 IDE, 2 SATA, Gb LAN, serial,
parallel, and 6 channel v97 audio.

Thanks.

Rj

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Are you having a problem with the computer?

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
not as of yet, but i would like to curb possible future problems before they occur.

im planning on using this machine for lots of music production and will be using software like Reason 3.0, Acid 5, Fruity Loops Studio, Ableton, Sound Forge etc...

I dont want to be right in the middle of building a wicked drum loop and then have a HD shut down on me or something. If my 300 watt supply is ample enough to not warrant a bigger supply then i wont worry about it.

Thanks

Rj

Edited by RjBass, 23 February 2006 - 12:34 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you had a power problem it would have made itself none about now, your biggest risk when doing music deiting is that the pc is quite slow not really the PSU which should be sufficient for that system, and a power problem wouldnt appear on something low power like an HD its usually evident in cpu errors and slow down or more commonly graphical glitches, basically just strabge behaviour is the biggest symptom so if its fine its not likely to happen.

If you want peace of mind you can go get another PSU but they ar fairly expensive as you should never buy the cheap generic ones.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ya i was thinking that last night. I host an internet radio show on Wed nights which requires me to send out two seperate feeds to two different servers, record the show, and moniter two java chat rooms all at the same time.

Last night was the first time I did the show since upgradeing the machine and I figured if I were to have a problem it would have made itself known last night. All the same though I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for your time.

Rj

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
While im thinking about it, I have noticed that if I leave my computer on for any length of time that it wont shut down properly.

When I click shut down or restart it basicly just freezes up. I still have mouse control but thats it. The HD light does not come on, and nothing happens, i usually have to do a cold shut down which worries me. Im running Windows 2000 pro SP 4 for the OS. Any ideas as to what is causing that problem?

Rj

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
anyone, anyone, Buller, Buller? ^^^

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Check your connections- make sure evreythings in- usually not the PS- u would see no booting or shut downs after 15 minutes usually

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
well i went through and double checked all the connection and added another cooling fan, and she seems to be fine now. im betting it was just a loose connection somewhere. thanks again.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 – RjBass –[Dual Monitor Setup]
26th Feb 2006

Hi – I am just adding your link from – [Dual Monitor] – Thread to – indicate your – [Video Upgrade Requirements] – that might affect – [Power Requirements] – and to ask Warriorscot – to take a peek/look at this link for his input – Both for – [Present Link] & [Following Dual Monitor]
http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=99703

EDIT - Being it is the same – Poster – [RjBass] – To keep the – [Confusion Factor] – to a minimum – Just keep the Posts confined to – [Dual Monitor Post] - http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=99703

Just thought this was – [[Pertinent Information] – on both topics -

[Hoping that - [Warriorscot] - is still subscribed to this Topic]
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 26 February 2006 - 08:21 PM.