Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W32.licum [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok that one does not work either........could it be AVG.....it was running in system Tray......I clicked it and clicked Quit AVG control Center...that gets rid of it from the system tray........I don't see a way to disable it or turn it off........even when I launch the program.......it does not have that option......

I bet it is stoping me from running these other programs........

Edited by nogard, 05 March 2006 - 06:43 PM.

Advertisements

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
In what way are you unable to run it? Are you getting some type of error message?

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
whenI click the link, that says online scan...just like with the panda one...no click.nothing happens.......however this one is an active link.....I can right click it and tell it to open in new window, but that gets me the same thing.......Nothing happens

Ok I check again......and that link shows a hand when I roll over it, but now when you right click everything above (Select all) is non active........this botton is not active for me either....the botton that says

Kaspersky
Scanner

Edited by nogard, 05 March 2006 - 10:12 PM.

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
So when you click Kaspersky Online Scanner on their webpage, a window opens but nothing happens?

Also, you are using Internet Explorer to do these scans, correct?

Edited by Matt.F, 05 March 2006 - 10:14 PM.

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
no window opens........nothing happens.....and fast reply on here does the same thing.....nothing happens when I click it........

yes internet exployer...........and note that when.......I click edit on here.........I no longer get he option to full quick....edit.........it just opens the full Edit box

Edited by nogard, 05 March 2006 - 10:17 PM.

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
To be honest, I'm not positive what the problem is but it sounds like a software problem. Since you appear to be clean of malware, and barring you are not experiencing any other malware-related issues, shall I post some tips for you on staying clean in the future and point you towards the Windows forum?

Regards,
Matt

nogard

nogard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
are you saying that......my computer all that you have seen so far is clean, and that the proplem I am having, not being able to.......click the online scan buttons of those two web pages is a software problem?

if thats the case sure.........

I do believe its a software problem, I think AVG...is stopping me from clicking some links, on web pages, but I don't know who to turn it off.......

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Without another Panda scan, I can't be completely sure, but your antivirus program should have gotten rid of the virus you had. As far as I can tell, your computer is malware-free. I believe the problems you are having are software-related, not malware-related. Feel free to post a thread here with a link to this topic so that the techs know you have been checked in the malware forum.

Before I let you go, let's rehide your system files, clean up the temporary files on your computer in case any last pieces of malware are lurking there, and set a new Windows Restore Point.

We need to re-hide system files so that you don't accidentally delete something :tazz::
  • Open My Computer from the start menu.
  • Click the Tools menu, then select Folder options.
  • Open the View tab at the top.
  • Select the option Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Check the box labeled Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
Download and install CleanUp!

Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu).
Set the program up as follows:
Click "Options..."
Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
Put a check next to the following (Make sure nothing else is checked!):
  • Empty Recycle Bins
  • Delete Cookies
  • Delete Prefetch files
  • Cleanup! All Users
Click OK
Press the CleanUp! button to start the program.

It may ask you to reboot at the end, click Yes.

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

Turn off System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • Check Turn off System Restore.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
Reboot.

Turn ON System Restore.
  • On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.
  • Click the System Restore tab.
  • UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP

That's it! Here are some tips for safer surfing in the future

Anti-Virus: Anti-virus software is absolutely critical to keeping your computer safe. If you do not have any, please download either AVG Free or avast! but not both. Running more than one anti-virus program causes conflicts and can actually reduce protection.

Firewall: A firewall is highly recommended in order to keep your computer safe from all kinds of nasties. A free version of ZoneLab's firewall ZoneAlarm is available here.

Anti-Spyware: Anti-spyware programs can be instrumental in preventing malware from infecting your computer in the first place. Periodic scans will keep your computer clean, and a few programs offer real-time malware protection.
  • Spybot Search&Destroy - Offers real-time protection with its Tea-timer software as well as an immunization feature and system scanner
  • Ad-aware SE Personal Edition 1.06 - Scans your system for numerous types of malware. Real-time protection is available via Ad-watch, available in the Professional Edition. Visit Lavasoft for more information.
  • SpywareBlaster - excellent program to prevent spyware from being installed on your computer.
  • SpywareGuard - real-time spyware protection against Browser Helper Objects (BHOs), dialers, etc.
Internet Browsers: the internet browser you use plays a large role in keeping you safe and secure. Check out these two suggestions for an alternative to Internet Explorer:
  • Mozilla Firefox - sleek and secure, Firefox is the fastest browser on the web with a built-in pop-up blocker as well as multiple available extensions.
  • Opera - a powerful, secure browser with a built-in pop-up blocker, E-mail program, RSS support, and IRC chat support.
Other Information: here are a couple of other things to keep in mind.
  • Windows Updates - It's very important to keep your computer updated with the latest security patches and software from Microsoft.
  • Also click here to read Tony Klein's article, "How Did I Get Infected in the First Place?"
Thanks for your patience during the clean-up process! Safe surfing!

Regards,
Matt

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.