Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing or corrupted hal.dll error

• Please log in to reply

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
have a dell dimension 4550 that keeps giving me the error in the title. I looked around and found this is often due to a bad or corrupted boot.ini file. I checked and sure enough the boot.ini file was there but was completely blank. I then edited the file so it matched the sample ini file from a microsoft article kb289022 on how to edit the boot.ini. The only difference being I used his drive arrangement and put in windows xp home for the entry.... anyway I'm still getting the same error...... are there any other things I should try?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yep, Since you edited it, I assume you used the recovery console, correct?

Reboot into recovery console, then at the prompt type

bootcfg /rebuild

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
correct and that did it though now it boots and asks if you want to go to windows xp home or windows xp home. in other words it's seeing my entry's as well as the ones it just made.

Is there a reason why my editing wasn't enough? just curious for future reference actually....

:tazz:

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well I used that command and it did make it work so I checked the boot.ini to see what I did wrong and apparently dell puts a hidden partition on the drive at the beginning so I was directing it to the wrong partition.

thanks again for the help
I don't know why all the other places I looked for help on this recommended editing the boot.ini by hand instead of at least trying that command first.