Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My new computer.

• Please log in to reply

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ok, so I did cheat the system a bit. My friend had the cpu, which he gave to me since he was upgrading his. :) Plus I'm just using my old monitor. Anyway, what ya think? Suggestions?

Motherboard -
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
$94.00

Processor -
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
$0.00(Got from friend)

Memory(Ram) -
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
$67.00

Video -
PNY XLR8 GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - Performance Edition, 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDCP, Video Card
$128.00

Hard Drive -
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$65.00

Optical drive -
Pioneer Beige 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner
$39.25

Case -
GIGABYTE GZ-X3BPD-500 Black 0.6mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$53.00

Keyboard and Mouse -
Logitech 967973-0403 Black 104 Normal Keys PS/2 Standard Deluxe 250 Desktop Mouse Included
$23.00

Operating System -
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 32-bit English 1pk for System Builders DSP OEI DVD - OEM
$90.00

Total = $559.25

Oh yeah, I didn't buy a floppy drive.. But who needs one of those now-a-days? :)
-Tony

Advertisements

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Also.. who would spend this much for a monitor??

Monitor -
SAMSUNG XL24 Black 24" 8ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Backlight Monitor 250 cd/m2 1000:1
Price: see for yourself...

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I would pay that much for a moniter...ya right :). But anyway, The system looks good, the graphics card is very nice, i LOVE nVidia and they are the only graphics cards i use. Looks like you really did cheat. Thats an awesome processor, i love the core 2s cuz they are just so fast and have stunning performance. You are lucky u got it for free! The system looks great for the price, so good luck with it!

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
A few things, since your computer case is black, I'd go with this DVD-writer, Pioneer 16x Black, less expensive too.

I suggest you go with Vista Home Premium 64-bit as it comes with more features than Home Basic and its only $10 more. The 32-bit is the same price but since you're getting 4GB of RAM, why not get 64-bit? Here's a comparison chart for all vista versions.

For the video card, its $110.99 in newegg.

Kamille

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you can stretch your budget a bit you should try and get this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121253 a 4850 with $170 but a $30 rebate so $140. $20 more than your first pick and its a hugely better card it will beat a 9800GTX+ it would be my pick if I was replacing my own 8800GT on that kind of budget and being newer it has a few extra features that the 8800GT doesn't have not a huge difference but a difference none the less.

And Blackout brand loyalty is for muppets, go for the best card for the best money because in electronics brand loyalty means nothing as quality changes one generation to the next.

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks for te replys guys. Unfortunately ive already got all the parts, but next time I upgrade ill totally take your advice with the graphics card - but then again in a year they will have a card ten times better so Idk.. lol.

Thanks for the replys though - just waiting for the hard drive to arive and will be complete! exciting, especially since its my first build :)

PS : about the vista 32-bit. Of course i wouldve gone for the 64 bit but something requires 32 bit since they dont have a 64 version set yet. Hard to explain, but has to do with flash videos and silverlight? They probably will soon, but I needed it nowwww. Lol. I actually have my friends 64 bit version as well, so when they upgrade, i can to. Thanks again .. fellow geeks? :)

-Tony

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

If you can stretch your budget a bit you should try and get this http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121253 a 4850 with $170 but a $30 rebate so $140. $20 more than your first pick and its a hugely better card it will beat a 9800GTX+ it would be my pick if I was replacing my own 8800GT on that kind of budget and being newer it has a few extra features that the 8800GT doesn't have not a huge difference but a difference none the less.

And Blackout brand loyalty is for muppets, go for the best card for the best money because in electronics brand loyalty means nothing as quality changes one generation to the next.

Hey, i love nVidia, always have always will. I support them no matter what. I got an ATI card cuz i heard they were awesome, so i tried playin games on it and the games would stutter and everythin and it was jus horrible. I returned it and there was another guy in the aisle who said that i should go with a nVidia and that i wouldnt regret it. I got the nVidia and the game worked perfectly no flaws. Ever since then i have never touched an ATI, and i never will. I guess i know why they put nVidia, the way its meant to be played on all the good games :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Blackout, you fail to realise the single fastest card available right now is an ATI card. :)

4870 X2

Cheers

Troy

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
ya i know it is, im jus sayin i like nVidia. nVidia will probably come out with somethin faster and then ATI, and around and around we go. It will never end, unless nVidia and ATI merge, which probably wont happen cuz then where will the fun be after that? :)

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
wait...doesnt nVidia have like a Quadro card or some external card that can be used that uses like 4 cards in one and is has like some insanely large amount of memory?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, Quadro FX exists, it's designed for "visualization professionals". (Not gamers)

Troy

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
da-mn. Cheers Troy :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Actually ATI usually gets the price/performance crown, with the exception of a year or two after the AMD acquisition of ATI it had done for a while. Quality differences in cards and performance are usually down to the user or the choice of a cheapo brand not ATI or Nvidia. To be honest it sounds like the card was being underpowered or you had a driver problem(like not wiping the originals properly), or it was a really really old ATI card like pre-9800 and since you were probably a toddler at that time I doubt it was that.

Nvidia also pay a crapload of money for all those adverts on games its nothing to do with the games affinity for either card, on many games that run better on an ATI card they have the Nvidia logo and vice versa. Intel for years paid for adverts even when AMD had the best CPUs for gaming it meant nothing.

Nvidia and ATI both do ranges of very powerful professional cards, they aren't designed for gaming which is why they don't get reviewed.

It sounds like Intel might whip both ATI and Nvidia next year with larrabey which looks awesome going retro with software acceleration.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I do agree with u. ATI cards are much cheapier than nVidia cards. I guess nVidia has to get money from somewhere to help pay for those advertisments on games and watnot :)

Cheers :)