Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

the older version of bonjour cannot be removed. contact your technical

• Please log in to reply

JWnTX

JWnTX

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've been working with computers for twenty years now and this is the most stubborn problem I think I've faced (at least in the era of message boards--spent a whole three day weekend working out a DOS issue many years ago). I've removed QuickTime. I've removed ITunes. I've searched the hard drive, including hidden files, for any bonjour files and deleted them. And I STILL can't install ITunes 9.2.

I know this question has been answered, but the one I found was apparently answered in an email or PM. I have downloaded Autoruns and Autorunsc for Windows as the last person that had this problem was instructed. Please-for the love of Pete-HELP ME!!!

:)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
Try this and see if it works:
1. Go to Start > Run > type the command below and hit OK.
“%PROGRAMFILES%\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe” -remove
2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Bonjour
3. Rename the mdnsNSP.dll file in that folder to mdnsNSP.old
4. Restart your computer
5. Delete the Program Files\Bonjour folder

This is just a little different command. I found this while researching your issue.
Copy and paste the command as it needs to be exact.

JWnTX

JWnTX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks--did as you suggested, but it can't find the file because I've deleted everything--every last reference to bonjour everywhere on the computer. But it's still there, somewhere, lurking, waiting for the next, hopeless attempt on my part to kill it and load ITunes...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get Windows Installer CleanUp Utility: http://support.micro....com/kb/290301/, and remove any entry related to Apple.

JWnTX

JWnTX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Been there, done that...

The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available.

Insert the 'Bonjour' disk and click OK.

It sits here, mocking me...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

JWnTX

JWnTX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
AHA!!! Found that scurrilous little [bleep] Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe lurking on that list and deleted his smarmy butt. As for the rest, it is attached.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. Lets continue on with the next steps.
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "Google Quick Search Box"
+ "swg" "GoogleToolbarNotifier"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Please let me know how everything is running when all steps are completed.

JWnTX

JWnTX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I ran the two programs (TFC and Auslogic Defrag). Everything seems to be running well. I really liked both programs (and the Autorun for that matter) and appreciate the advice. These will be three tools I use a lot in the future.

However--when I tried to load iTunes, it laughed at me and gave me the error message again. Swear to gawd--I'm about to reformat this friggin' hard drive.

Edited by JWnTX, 13 July 2010 - 08:54 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Which message is it giving you exactly?

Advertisements

JWnTX

JWnTX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry--had to sleep before I popped an artery...

It's the same "The old version of Bonjour could not be removed. Contact your technical support..."

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK i got some advice from one of the Moderators. Can you open a search and type in lsp and click enter.
Is there any reference to the Bonjour LSP shown?
If not then It has been suggested to use a program the malware techs use called OTL to find and remove all traces of the program. I have asked the moderator to assist as I cannot give steps on OTL since it is a malware removal tool. I will wait for your response and for the moderator to post to help you out.

JWnTX

JWnTX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I really do appreciate your help. No reference to any file with Bonjour or Bonjour LSP in the name (lots of lsp extensions in Audacity, some SP3 files, games, etc), but no programs related to Bonjour.

I did look over the files below and found a couple of references to Bonjour in the registry keys. Should I go ahead and remove those?

Attached are the two files:

Attached Files

Edited by JWnTX, 14 July 2010 - 11:45 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Not seeing any traces of bonjour in that log, but I do see some potential malware so will direct you there after this

Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

Please download OTM
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Please double-click OTM to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • Copy the lines in the codebox below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

:Processes

:Services

:Reg
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
    "C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe"=-
    :Files
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour

:Commands
    [purity]
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [CREATERESTOREPOINT]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [Reboot]
  • Return to OTM, right click in the "Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved" window (under the yellow bar) and choose Paste.
  • Click the red Moveit! button.
  • Copy everything in the Results window (under the green bar) to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy), and paste it in your next reply.
  • Close OTM and reboot your PC.
Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes. In this case, after the reboot, open Notepad (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Notepad), click File->Open, in the File Name box enter *.log and press the Enter key, navigate to the C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles folder, and open the newest .log file present, and copy/paste the contents of that document back here in your next post.

Then post your OTL logs in the malware forum, and let us know here if any of the above steps removed Bonjour

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Rorschach112 for the help.
Maybe the potential infection is causing this problem? :)