Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display properties tabs missing [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

drnads

drnads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
:) :tazz: :(

It worked!!!

Here's what I did. I downloaded this file:

and copied it into c:/windows. Then I found the comctl32.dll file in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and renamed it oldcomctl32.dll. MS file monitor came up and warned me about changing file names but I let it keep the changes.
Then I took the newest copy of the comctl32.dll from C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\... and copied it into the system32 folder. Reboot and all the tabs are back. I still have an issue with my video driver, but that's easy compared to this.

thanks for all the help and thanks to Metallica, phantomass, makai and Lorijan for figuring this one out. ;)

Andy

Advertisements

drnads

drnads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
:tazz: OOPS!!

goofed on the attachment. Lets try that again

Attached File  WindowsShell.xml   749bytes   3379 downloads

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
That's great! Congrats! :tazz:

I'll close this thread now:

This log looks clean!
  • Don't forget to re-hide all files and folders. To re-hide all files and folders:
    • Open My Computer.
    • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    • Select the View Tab.
    • Under the Hidden files and folders heading deselect "Show hidden files and folders".
    • Check the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
    • Click Yes to confirm.
    • Click OK.
  • This is a good time to set up protection against further attacks. Read the article behind this link "How did I get infected". If you don't already have them, you need an antivirus that is updated, a good firewall for example Kerio Personal Firewall or ZoneLabs Zone Alarm, a spyware blocker like SpywareBlaster and also IE-Spyads and spyware detection (Ad-aware SE and SpyBot S+D). All of these have good free versions available... be very cautious about any security software that advertises in popups or other intrusive ways, they are not only usually useless, but also often have malware in them....

Instead of Internet Explorer, use a different browser like Opera, Mozilla or Firefox.

Last, but not least, you need to keep Windows and Internet Explorer up to date by getting all the latest security patches that protects your computer.

This can be accessed by going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and following the prompts.

Please post back if you are still having any problems....

Edited by didom, 12 August 2005 - 01:13 AM.

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.