Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question on ram

• Please log in to reply

inite

inite

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
im currently using pc2700 333 512 kingston ram. Im wondering if i can use a pc3200 333 512 kingston ram with no side effects? Or would the performance be much better with both pc2700?

Reason behind me wanting a pc3200 is because incase i upgrade my motherboard, i might be able to use the pc 3200 ram since there are newer than pc2700.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a look at crucial which will let you know what you can have

http://www.crucial.com/

Everest Home will tell you which memory you have, can have, number of slots and max memory

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
remember the mb detects the lowest speed and runs all memory on that speed. id duel channel two 512 pc 2700 or go to newegg and corsair has a sweed deal on memory-2 512 pc3200 for under 100$

Nixx

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
i would too if i live in the States. Im living in singapore and they do not do oversea shipping =/

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
oh, go to corsair.com then... that might work!

Nixx

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
http://www.cybermind...name=Price_List

thats the one for singapore and they dont seem to have anything to do with rams =/ probably doesnt sell them

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
the link for ram is dead so you might try tiger-direct, just stay away from ebay for system hardware.

Nixx

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

im currently using pc2700 333 512 kingston ram. Im wondering if i can use a pc3200 333 512 kingston ram with no side effects? Or would the performance be much better with both pc2700?

Reason behind me wanting a pc3200 is because incase i upgrade my motherboard, i might be able to use the pc 3200 ram since there are newer than pc2700.

View Post

Ok, so from wad i collected, i should be able to use pc3200 ddr 333 512 ram, but it will run only at the bus speed of pc2700 since im using a pc2700 ddr 333 512 ram. However if i do choose to use pc 3200, i can be assured there will no side effects at all. Am i right?

Also, i can defiately use a pc2700 ddr 333 512 ram, the exact duplicate of my current one.

Correct me if im wrong

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
yo are correct. the pc3200 would be my suggestion-the 2700 will soon be outdated now that they have that 5200 (What the...) DDR2 out. If you want to get one 3200 now (mix and match) then tget the other one later-it would be fine. What is you mb? you might have duel channel (4 slots, 2 colors) then you want two of the same memory.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
i've only 2 slots for rams.

I guess i'll buy a pc 2700 after all bcos if i do wanna upgrade in the future, i would wanna buy a higher ddr, ddr 333 would soon be outdated (or perhaps, already is) and buying pc3200 ddr 333 is useless for upgrades of system. <-- hope these makes sense unless im stupid to be thinking like this.

Also, im curious. Im currently using 512 + 256, both pc 2700 ddr 333. Would there be any significant improvement if i use 512 + 512 since they are exactly the same?

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
nope, only the size upgrade. It does make sense accually, your plan for ram works, but if you arn't gaming, the upgrade isn't necessary, wait to upgrade fully to pc 3200 in the future, size is more important for multitasking, speed for gaming...

Nixx

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
ah ok, i actually just bought the ram... Working good i think, im multi-tasking alot an i hope the additional mb helps.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
sweet