Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

questions about upgrading/building new computer

• Please log in to reply

trnstar

trnstar

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I bought a barebones kit a couple years ago that me and my mom put together, and I want to upgrade almost everything.

My current system is
mobo: abit sg-80
cpu: P4 2.93ghz (overclocked to 3.4ghz I think it stable haven't run stress tests but it hasn't had problems so far)
ram: 512mb ultra pc3200
graphics: geforce 6200
hdd: hitachi 160gig sata 7200rpm
power supply: I think its 400watt not sure though
and a dvd-rom

I want to upgrade the motherboard to xfx nforce 680i with a geforce 8600 xxx (its a combo deal) and 2 gigs of ultra pc6400. So basicly I'm keeping my old case, power supply, harddrive, dvd-rom, cpu (wich I will upgrade to a c2d when I get the money) and fan. My first question is, will I need a better power supply, and second question is, will the xp freak when I change almost all my components and what will I have to do? also do you have other suggestions about my upgrades? I'm a newb at system building and a newb to this site so please try not to laugh at my ignorance.... :)

Advertisements

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
oh and obviously I have a monitor

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
everyone's a noob at some point mate, i've been using this site for ages now, but i'm still one :)

i can't be 100% because you'd need to check the power consumption of your components but i reckon a PSU would be advised if not necessary

your Hard drive sounds quite good, however the way i did it when i replaced 99% of my components was to back up all of my data and then put a clean copy of XP on my HDD (don't put on any drivers or anything) then built my new system

however someone less noobish then myself may suggest a quicker way of doing that ^^

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
also what processor do you recommend? is it really necessary to spend the extra to go quad core? today microcenter was running a deal on q6600 for $200 and I was thinking if prices are like that when I buy the processor I just might go quad core. and what power supply do you recommend?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To be honest, don't upgrade your motherboard till you have enough money for the CPU/motherboard/RAM/GPU.
Yes, I'd recommend upgrading that PSU, 95% of those barebone kits come with sub par PSU's, upgrading them will put a strain on it and it might give out.
Lastly, don't get a 680i, get a P35 chipset. The P35-DS3L is a really good board that retails for $90.
James

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
ok then here is my second option

xfx gerforce 8600 gt XXX
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB pc6400
total: $253.82 (203.82 after rebates)

the first option I was considering (in the first post) totaled: $279.26 (234.26 after rebates) I'm not sure about how to tell a good psu, so if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks sandman and james for the info! :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I missed this question.

will the xp freak when I change almost all my components and what will I have to do?

Yes it will, you are going to need to reformat, if you have a OEM copy of XP then your going to have to buy a new license.

I you plan on gaming that 8600GT will not get you very far, it'll be much better then what you already have, but still won't play up to date game very well. I really recomend you wait a bit if you are a gamer. As for suggesting a PSU, I need a budget to do so.
James

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I only do mild gaming, right now the only thing I play is battlefield 2. Which is 90% of the reason why I'm upgrading! so the geforce 8600 gt XXX will be good enough for my needs... should be anyways. I am trying to stick to a pretty tight budget, but if I need to I can wait until I get more money in the bank to get higher quality components... I'm just trying to rush things because playing battlefield 2 on my current system is a pain in the... anyways, what is a good budget psu, what is a more ideal psu, and how strongly do you recommend the ideal one?

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
From reading other forums I decided to go with this psu http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139003

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i use an 8600GTS for pretty hardcore gaming, it kicks out all games i've played on mid-high settings at 1280x1024 so that would probably be a good enough card for you, will definately play bf2 well enough

that PSU looks good aswell, i was thinking of getting the 800W version

Advertisements

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I have one last question... I think, anyways, does the intel xeon 3110 perform the same as the e8400?

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
and does it work in the motherboard I'm going to get? (this question is part of the last question so I'm still at one last question)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Performance between the Xeon and Core 2 Duo processors cannot be compared as they are different. Xeon is a Server processor, Core 2 Duo is a desktop / notebook processor.

Unless you are specifically building a server (which I gather you aren't, from this thread information), stick with the Core 2 Duo :)

That PSU is a much better choice. The Corsair PSUs are known for their good quality, but 450W is not very much these days. I'm sure it will be fine for your system, but you won't have much upgradeability options without first having to upgrade the PSU. If this doesn't worry you, then it's no problem. Only you know your budget and circumstances for using the computer (and also potential future upgrades).

Cheers

Troy

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Unless you really are on a budget, dont get a 8600gt. it won't get you very far in gaming. It will MAYBE last you till the end of this year. or next year 1st quarter at best.

Get at least a 9600gt or 8800gs or get a $80 8600gt and OC it yourself. Its cheaper. and you get higher clock speeds. All factory OCed cards are just a gimmick to get money from people who don't know how to OC their cards..

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Unless you really are on a budget, dont get a 8600gt. it won't get you very far in gaming. It will MAYBE last you till the end of this year. or next year 1st quarter at best.

Get at least a 9600gt or 8800gs or get a $80 8600gt and OC it yourself. Its cheaper. and you get higher clock speeds. All factory OCed cards are just a gimmick to get money from people who don't know how to OC their cards..

thanks for the suggestion, before I read your post I decided to get the 8800gs and ordered it already! Thanks everyone for all of your help!!!