Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rc.iso

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

This question is basically for 'wannabe1' as it relates to some information that I have gleaned while reading his reply to this topic --> http://www.geekstogo...rt-t176904.html

I have had need of such a thing as that rc.iso thingy when I had troubles with my PC in the past so I rushed off, downloaded the file, and burned it to a disk.

Then I stuck in in my DVD drive and rebooted my machine just to see if I had gotten a good burn. I followed the instructions up to the point where it asked for the admin password. I entered it, and clicked enter. It asked me to re-enter the password, so I did and hit enter again.

Then it asked me for it a third time and when I hit enter that time it told me that an incorrect password had been entered three times and wouldn't go any farther. My only option was to let it start Windows.

OK, so here's my question... is that thing asking me for my regular PC admin account password, or is it asking for my BIOS password, or my super user password?

I'll take help from anyone that knows the answer.

Thanks,

Wendy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Wendy...

Try leaving it blank...just press "Enter".

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's asking for the password relating to the default Windows 'Administrator" account, the account that Windows creates automatically when Windows is installed, and which is usually hidden at the login screen. By default it doesn't have a password set but it will always prompt for one regardless. If you or anyone else never gave it a password you just leave it blank and click Enter.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi wannabe1,

Thanks for the reply Boo. OK, I'll give that a go next time I give it a try and let you know how it worked.

Hi pip22,

Thanks for the reply to you too Boo. Huh-oh! if thats what that little bugger's asking for I might be out of luck. Is that Admin account that you're talking about visible when one boots into safe mode?

I think that I set one somewhere along there, and then promptly forgot what it was. I know that I set one in my BIOS, and I set something called "A Super User" password, both of which I had enough sense to write down.

Nonetheless, I'll post the results of my next attempt at using that rc.iso.

Thanks guys.

♥ Wendy

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi wannabe1, and pip22,

OK, I did as you suggested and just hit enter when that thing had started and it worked so that means that I had gotten a good burn on that CD.

Now that brings up a couple of more questions. There seems to be the option to enter setup or repair. I did the repair thingy, so what happens if I click to setup windows? I'm curious about that and want to see what it's all about but reluctant to check it out as I haven't got the original Windows installation disk in case I need it and I don't want to break anything.

Next question is, "if my machine gets stuck in a constantly repeating loop, like it did once already, will I be able to correct the problem simply by running that rc.iso CD?

Thanks Guys,

♥ Wendy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There's a lot you can do with Recovery Console...but the rc.iso is just that...Recovery Console. To run the setup option would require files that are not on the rc.iso disk...so you would be unable to do that and it is advisable not to try. To use that option, you'll need an XP cd.

Information on Recovery Console

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi wannabe1, Thanks for the reply.

Oh Lord... now I have a headache from trying to understand everything that I just read at that link you gave me. Thanks for the link though. I just don't know if I'll be able to remember any of that stuff should I ever need it again.

OK, so I won't go trying the setup thing then, now is this something that I should do?

--> Use the Winnt32.exe utility with the /cmdcons option to add the Windows Recovery Console to the Windows Startup folder. This procedure requires approximately 7 megabytes (MB) of hard disk space on the system partition to hold the Cmdcons folder and files.

And if it is, how will it help me if I need to use it?

Thanks,

Wendy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What that will do, Wendy, is install the recovery console onto your hard drive and add a reference to it in the boot.ini file. When you start your computer, rather than booting straight up, you will receive a boot options screen from which you can choose either to start Windows or to start Recovery Console. While this can be useful, I have seen it corrupt and become useless...usually when you need it the most.

As long as you have it on disk, and this is only my opinion, installing it to the hard drive is just adding clutter to your machine's startup routine.

Bookmark the web page I gave you...there's a wealth of information on RC there.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi wannabe1, Thanks for the reply.

Cool, I'll leave all as it is, take a couple of giant aspirin, and do some reading on that link you gave me.

♥ Wendy