Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reboots when trying to load windows

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looks like you will have to buy a full retail version of XP in order to continue.

I found this in my research so it's not mine.

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Advertisements

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I was trying to see if anyone else knew of any programs that could repair it without a retail XP cd.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is no other way to repair without a cd.
Borrow one from someone.
It has to be the same type as what you have Home or Pro
If you can't buy a new copy or borrow a copy then you other choice is to buy a HD and reload everything to it. You will still need a XP to do this as the OEM version is usually married to the original MOBO it was installed to.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I tried the instructions on this site:

http://www.spotmausu...ldr-is-missing/

but when I try to copy from the E:\ drive (the cddrive) it says access is denied. ???

I have XP pro full disc, that won't repair XP home I'm guessing?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How many hd and cd\dvd drives do you gave in your system?
Pro won't work as the files will not be exactly the same.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
1 cd (ide slave)
1 ide

3 SATA

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your cdrom drive the E drive?
I ask because normally the cdrom is the last drive letter that is open.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
okay, it's the G drive and I was able to get those commands to work. However, it still says the NDLFS or whatever it is is missing. :) I did all those commands, the fixboot, the bootcfg \rebuild, all that. I even did the spotmau application that is supposed to fix that exact problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK a few questions.
What is on this HD that is important and cannot be lost?
What data is needed?
Not programs but data?
It looks like there is more going on here then what we started with.
Changing a MOBO would not cause this type of problems. As I stated from the beginning the only thing you would have to do is load the MOBO drivers and then maybe make a call to Microsoft to reactivate your windows after a major upgrade.
This is what I suggest you do...
Backup your important data files.
Format the hd and reload Windows fresh.
I am supplying the directions to do this because I don't know what else you have attempted to do.

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 July 2009 - 01:49 AM.

hoodleehoo

hoodleehoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
The windows was working fine before I changed the motherboard. And the only things I've done to it were what was suggested on here. I really don't want to do a complete reinstall, that would be a complete nightmare! :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you will need a XP disk of the same type you have to do a repair installation.