Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

registry cleaner

• Please log in to reply

tigerspeed

tigerspeed

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi im new here and im going to be needing help but my question is why is it when i do a registry cleanup on a computer that has microsoft office installed on it it says that i need to reinstall microsoft office its like most of the registry cleaners causes this problem

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi and welcome to geeks to go.

Although some people will swear by registry cleaners, for the most part they do not work.
If you do use them and they are not used correctly, your computer will fail (not boot, programs corrupt, etc).
Using a registry cleaner has not shown any particular speed increase.

There are things in the registry that will be associated with more than 1 item, and the name will not mean anything.

I am sure others will respond to this also, But I have found no usefullness of using a cleaner. (I do use 1 on my test unit only, and have crashed it a few times. I have seen no change in its behaviour).

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
We at GTG no longer recommend use of Registry Cleaners because of all the posts requesting fixes for using them. If you insist on using one and, it is NOT necessary to do so, uncheck all items that DO NOT reside in the TEMP folders or are cookies you know you do not want to keep before running the cleaner. There are others that are safe, but I can not advise you on those. You MUST look at each item and if you can't identify it, uncheck it. ALWAYS DO A REGISTRY BACKUP.

If you are running the Registry Cleaner because of what you think are computer problems, please post in our forum for help on those problems as most ARE NOT Registry connected. The call to reinstall Office is because the cleaner you are using is flagging an important Registry Key used by Office.

You are not going to gain much in boot up time or speed by cleaning the Registry. Other programs may be the cause of computer slowdowns, etc.. Recommend you leave the Registry Cleaner alone and look for other causes of your computer problems and definitely NOT clean the Registry just to have a clean one!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do not use Registry Cleaners. Some of them will flag extensions as "not used" simply because the program is not running. There is nothing to gain except problems!

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Registry cleaners are a scam.
The program will tell you that you have (X) errors, and (X) errors where repaired, when nothing was done.
The registry cleaners only purpose is to make money for the software company that sells it.
You gain not one single thing from using these programs!
Ust ATF cleaner to keep your temp folder clean and that is all you need to do.

tigerspeed

tigerspeed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ha thats some stuff i didnt know thanks

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not all Registry Cleaners are scams. The ones mentioned by hfcg are those programs which are paid versions used as trials to clean. In order to clean, you must buy. Why pay for a program when many are available for free. Still, it is recommended to NOT use registry cleaners unless you ABSOLUTELY know what keys are being removed. Having a Registry backup does no good if you no longer can reboot.