Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

single SATA hard drive install?

• Please log in to reply

SLayer666

SLayer666

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok so i have one sata hd and im trying to install windows xp. I hit f6 and loaded via sata drivers got windows to start install but after reboot it cannot recongnize drive again! it says disk error and wont load....i tried hitting boot from cd again but it just does complete circle! any input would be great.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
make sure BIOS is set to allow boot to other device. since you are not trying to boot to an IDE hard drive, the boot order should be set to floppy, then CD. remove the hard drive from boot priority. (since that refers to an IDE HD). boot other device must be enabled, which will allow it to boot to the SATA drive.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ok i set boot to floppy, cd then disabled. I cant find boot other devices...it should be under boot menu right?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
yes, it will be in the main BIOS area, where you set boot devices. you will need CD boot enabled, so it can load windows from the CD.
also make sure the onboard SATA controller is enabled. this will be under onboard peripherals.

Edited by audioboy, 10 May 2005 - 07:34 PM.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
yeah i got my bios sata enabled and cd to boot first....but windows setup will get as far as copying files to folder..then it reboots. after reboot windows install will not continue it says disc error and its not finding my sata hd. so i cant continue the install?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
this may be an issue with the sata driver. do you know what chipset you have?
did you find the boot other device option?
please list the make and model of your mobo, I will see if I can find any info. if you have the manual handy, look in there for BIOS settings.

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
thanx for your help man! ok my bios is a Asus A8v delux,with amd 64 bit 3800, 1 gig ram, and this new sata seagate hard drive. still cant find boot other device...but my mobo does list the new sata hd as a boot device ...i tried it disabled, 2nd and 3rd boot. nothin works. There via serial raid drivers but i dont have raid setup...is that my prob? does via make just serial ata drivers?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
interesting stuff in the manual on this. loks like they use a different configuration than I am used to...
do you have the manual handy? if not, go to this link, and download it.

http://usa.asus.com/.....me=A8V Deluxe

first check out page 2-25, which mentions a setting for if you are using raid or not. then jump to page 4-24 (section 4.4.3), which is where to adjust that setting in bios. looks like you will need to have the sata bootrom enabled, then set the promise raid controller to disabled. is it correct that there are 2 sets of SATA connectors, one set for normal SATA, the other for raid sata? (check out page 2-24, 2-25)
if so, plug your drive into the first normal sata connector, as seen on p. 2-24.

the via sata driver says raid, but it works for a single drive as well. are you using a disc that came with the mobo?
might be worth grabbing the sata driver from the via site. last time I encountered this with someone, that did the trick. go to this link, select OS, then IDE, raid and sata, then the vt8237 driver.

http://www.viaarena....t.aspx?PageID=2

just when I think I am starting to get it down with sata setup, a whole new way comes up...on the other hand, that mobo can do some serious storage! IDE raid, sata raid, backing each other up...very nice!

SLayer666

SLayer666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Man thanx for your help!! i downloaded new drivers did a reformat from windows repair and everything booted fine. I actually tried the sata raid device first before i posted on forum..i didnt even see the other sata plugs..lol. yeah this mobo has tons of new stuff im not used to...but everything seems fine now and way faster then my old ide drive!!!!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
glad we got it working. I learned a thing or two on this one too. crank up the reign in blood album for me! :tazz:

Advertisements

yeehou

yeehou

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there, congratulation of getting it right, But i'm just wondering.
WHich SATA port u plug the SATA harddrive to?

IS it the one which specify as SATA_RAID or just SATA.

I'm a bit confused, because when i plug it into SATA, it detect a harddrive. but when i plug it into SATA_RAID, it doesn't detect any harddrive.

WHen i plug it into SATA, i try to installed the window. It wont's allow me, It will say harddrive is not detected in the install process (blue screen).

Can anyone help me?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
if your using a single drive, use the non raid sata port. the raid port on these boards are for raid only, so you would need 2 drives connected, then set up as a raid to work there.

follow the instructions from this thread about getting the BIOS set correctly to boot to other devices.

next, you will need the sata drivers for your mainboard. they should have come on a disc with the mobo. if not, go to the mobo manufacturers website and download the driver (it may say raid, thats fine).
when loading windows, when it prompts "press F6 to install 3rd party scsi/raid drivers" do that. at the next prompt press S for scsi, then select your drive. windows will then load normally.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
The sata is for the boot drive whereas the raid sata is for the drive that is 'raided' when the other is pulled out (at least thats what i think its is). so just use the regular sata for booting. in bios>prefs, enable sata and set for primary master, then if you put a second sata in the sata_raid, it should detect.
don't quote me on this but i believe this is how it woks.
Nixx

yeehou

yeehou

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks guy.

andman_21

andman_21

• Pip
  • 2 posts
brand new computer built can't load xp system won't reconize sata hd plz help :tazz: ;) ;) :) :) :)

Followed steps above but didn't work need some help

First time with sata hd before

Edited by andman_21, 28 May 2005 - 08:48 PM.