Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow puter N more

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Running Win XP, seems to be OS rather than browser problem. After running Spybot, Maleware, AVG - and of course deleting listed "bugs" - (at least I think it was after this?!) I have a slow computer. I select folders and they'll open slow, with several open they are shown at window bottom (tray?), I notice some are showing up yellow, when I try to open them, they will not. They may even flash (white to yellow) while refusing to open.

(RAN SUGGESTED PROGRAMS - SEEMS FLASHING PROBLEM OVER)

As far as having only one virus and/or malware - Little confused about which are anti-virus programs and which malware. Need to know that so I don't have too many.

titles in Add/Remove - if it has no show beside it then folder was in Program folder but  program does not show in A/R

Ad-Aware show
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware show
ATF Cleaner no show
ERUNT show
AVG Free 8.5 show (REMOVED but AVG folder still in Program)
AVG Free Edition no show  (REMOVED)
Registry Mechanic 5.2 show  (REMOVED)
Spybot - Search and Destroy show  (REMOVED but folder still shows in Program)

Spybot - Search and Destroy 1.5.2.20 show - 1st time to see this listing (REMOVED)
Juniper Networks Host Checker
SpeedUpMyPC 3 no show
Driver Detective show
CCleaner show  (REMOVED)
Program >Speeditup Free no show
ParetoLogic > Driver Cure no show
PC Drivers HeadQuarters > Driver Detective show

winsockfix no show

Which should I keep and which to remove? Can I remove from all that's needed from Add/Remove?

I donloaded, installed, ran Avast. I turned off all other virus/trojan programs from tray. It showed several entries to remove> Wanted me to verify remove 3 from Windows folder, I said No.

I do look around but don't alter things unless I know I should. My Win XP > Start > Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks - I have a lot of "At(plus #'s)" for almost every hour. 
In Properties I see - Task>Run - Windows\system32\g8qi210b.exe
Comments - Created by NetScheduleJobAdd.
Run as - NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
((1)) Should I do anything about the "At" items?

The other items in Scheduled Tasks are:
Ad-Aware Update (Weekly)
AppleSoftwareUpdate 
EasyShare Registration
Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC and
Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC Nag
((2)) Should I do anything with these items?

I looked at Start>Run>msconfig - Startup, but saw so many items "in code" that I didn't know what they were so I left them alone.
((3)) How do I find out what items I can unselect?

Just finished a anti-virus scan. 

C:\System Volume Information\_restore ~ ( = more) is Spyware? Or is it the restore points I just made last night?

Same item under Infections - along with . . . 
D:\I386\APPS|APP18930\SUPPORT\TOOLS\SUPPORT.CAB
D:\I386\APPS|APP18930\SUPPORT\TOOLS\SUPPORT.CAB:\bitsadmin.exe

I just don't want to remove something I will need later on!

I appreciate all suggestions passed on.

bamakodaker

Advertisements