Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

switched to 98 getting multible problems

• Please log in to reply

Cate_Archer

Cate_Archer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
okay so, I had a windows XP but recently it crashed on me. I had a back up old windows 98, but I'm getting these stupid problems. like, I tried to use yahoo instant messenger, but I can't see any typage in the above window where your IM and the other persons IM are shown, but I can see the bottom smaller space where your typing your messeges. this pc has almost no plug ins or anything installed in it since its clean and pretty much new cept that, well, its outdated. so I'm not sure what I need to do or install to get it running decently. btw, the YIM I installed is the new, most recent one, so I'm wondering if I should maybe download an older version of it since this is a windows 98 were talking about.

ALSO, I'm getting these random popups on the pc, that say, SCANER REGISTRY YOU ARE INFECTED WITH whatever blah and so fourth, GO TO THIS WEBSITE TO STOP THESE MESSEGES. which, they are HIGHLY annying and pop up every 3 minutes or so. WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It sounds like you have some sort of malware on your computer.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
1st step is open Internet explorer.
Go to tools>windows update
It will check your computer for missing updates.
Follow the prompts to install the updates
If it picks IE7 then leave that out for now. IE6 will do
Ignore the Scanner registry messages for now.

Cheers
Peterm