Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win2000 Have Lost Access to All Files

• Please log in to reply

oski

oski

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi and Help!
I believe my computer has been "hijacked." When I turn it on, it goes to a blank desktop and a Welcome to Windows note comes on every time as if I'm using the computer for the first time. All my folders and documents are gone, but when I do a Search for a document, it shows that it's in the computer, but then won't let me access it, gives me an error message. I am desperate. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Oski
never post your email in an open forum...you're just asking for spam

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what happens if you start the computer in safe mode?
press f8 during boot to get to the boot options menu...then choose safe mode from the list

oski

oski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
dsenette,
I will try starting in safe-mode when I get home (I'm at work now) and then repost.
Thanks,
Oski

oski

oski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
dsenette,
I started iin Safe Mode and still can't see any of my folders/files. I tried doing a Start-Search for a familiar file and it shows a list of them, but when I click on them, it says they've been removed or the path is wrong. also, a "Windows Installer" window keeps coming up like it's trying to install something. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Oski

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
from within safe mode

start > run
cmd
<enter>

chkdsk /r
<enter>

say yes to check on reboot, reboot

take a walk

oski

oski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
gerryf,
Did as suggested. It did say it was fixing a few bad files, but still can't access my files. When I run a Start - Search a Windows Installer window repeatedly pops up. Again the Search box shows my previous documents, but when I click on them, it says they can't be accessed. Thanks for help.
Oski