Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Opteron 165 & DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D

• Please log in to reply

LuckyLukin

LuckyLukin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am getting ready to configure this setup and need some guidance to get the most out of this setup. I have not been able to do any overclocking with my existing 3200+ but I think that is because of my Value-Ram. Along with my 165 I have some OCZ Platinum memory coming that should make the overclocking feasible. I plan on using a Spire SP792B12-U KestrelKing V as the CPU Cooler. Any tips of what to settings to tweak to maximize the power of my new 165 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
i'm not an expert with the Opterons but others say they OC like mad if you know what you're doing, RAM, try to loosen the timeings and try clockgen to increase CPU multiplier instead of FSB

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ill send admin a pm he has one he might stop in.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Doesn't take much. Bump the CPU voltage (start @ 1.425), make sure you have enough RAM voltage (1.8+), decrease the RAM multiplier to get your RAM within spec, and decrease the Hyperthreading divider to 3X (you can maybe bump to 4X later). Then start increasing your FSB. Most people are able to get 300mhz on air cooling very easily. :tazz:

LuckyLukin

LuckyLukin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, will try that this weekend. I'm kinda excited about seeing what this bad boy will do, going to be delivered tomorrow.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Almost all CPUs will overclock better after a period of burn-in time. I'd get it running at stock speeds, and then run folding@home, Prime, or something that will load the CPU 100% for 24-48 hours. Then see what you're overclock will do.