Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Home Network

• Please log in to reply

cashandbro

cashandbro

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I need to share a internet connection with 3 PC in my house. I was wondering what the best way to do this will be. Thankyou for any help.

Computer 1 - Windows 98 with USB only

Computer 2 - Windows XP with Ethernet Plug

Computer 3 - Windows XP with Intergrated Intel Pro 10/100 Ethernet Network Card, Ethernet Plug

Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Wireless Firewall Router
Actiontec® GT701-wg wireless modem and is wireless home networking ready!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...with that setup...get a usb wireless network card for the 98 machine...then hard wire the other two with cat 5 to the actiontec...as it's already your modem...in which case you don't need the netgear...then...depending on wether or not you want to share files and printers...you should be done....if you want to share files and printers...you've got some more steps

cashandbro

cashandbro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you, now for the dumb question, What is hardwire the other two with cat5.

Note: The Actiontec only has one Ethernet connection.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ah...ok here's a little better (was in a hurry earlier)

i'm assuming the actiontec is an adsl modem..correct me if i'm wrong

so..phone line...to actiontec...actiontec to netgear router (via cat5 ethernet cable)...netgear router to individual computers with ethernet cable...of course...still either need an ethernet card or a wireless card for the 98 machine...the actiontec would need to be configured according to your ISP setup...then the router SHOULD obtain it's ip from the modem..and the computers SHOULD obtain ip addresses from the netgear router

cashandbro

cashandbro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, I think I can handle that, thank you very much.

Any suggestion on a wireless card to use for the 98 machine?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
not personaly no...not big in the wireless world....belkin, linksys, and netgear are the front runners in t he industry though