Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Boots Up Distorted, Mouse Poofed

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually...that's about what I expected from this machine. :tazz:

What I can't figure out is why would this mouse work one day, quit working the next, and never work again on just this machine. It just doesn't make sense....especially with one port showing a driver error.

I've searched sites that haven't had a visitor since the stoneage...and still finding nothing we haven't tried.

Hmmmmmmm

Peter: I do hope you are out of harms way as the typhoon slams into your coastline. :)

wannabe1

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok all ports seem to work, Did this mouse ever work on this machine?
Do we assume this topic is finished - any problems we missed.

Yes I am ok the cyclone hit North of me - same state but way off.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Good Morning Peterm & Wannabe 1,

Yes Peterm...the mouse did work (plugged into a usb port) on this machine previously.

:) Wannabe1 re: "Actually...that's about what I expected from this machine"

I agree Wannabe1...its odd that my drivers poofed and took the usb mouse function with it. My usb headphones & digital camera work in all usb ports despite one saying it doesnt work! If this puzzles you...you can imagine how much it pains me! :)

Actually I had wondered, not knowing if this is feasible, if I uninstalled completely the Logitech files and reinstalled from scratch whether this would fix...As I have never had a problem ...I never noticed whether the yellow "!" were always beside that Ps/2 & that one usb function.

I guess we are done insofar as this thread Peterm..I guess it will just be one of those unresolved anomalies in the vast abyss of computer glitches. It works with the adapter & all my other equipment works in the usb ports :tazz:

I wouldnt say I have other problems but I do have a few other questions but am not sure just where to post them? .....like....why does my start button stick when I click it? Is there a fix for this?...(same happens when I click other icons on my desktop...notta a problem but a major annoyance at times) Will a reformat and installation of XP cure what ails this poor old comp?

Thank you both so much for all your help..its much appreciated and I am glad you are safe from that nasty storm hitting your coastline Peterm.

Its a COLD (brrrr....) but sunny :) day here in Southern Ontario today! Have a wonderful day you guys!

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 20 March 2006 - 07:36 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What do you mean they stick :tazz:

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
When you click em, the button stays depressed for an inordinate length of time and nothing happens...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Failsafe method
Failsafe
:tazz: :)
Just Kidding

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
:) Ummm...ok :tazz:

So that would be your expert opinion then?... .oO whoever said "geeks" dont have a good sense of humour...albeit over my head most times... j/k

:)

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 21 March 2006 - 08:02 AM.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
So....We are done?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
thinking what could be causing the delay

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
(giggles)So was I ergo the post! :whistling:

I think while I wait I shall "compclean"...ie. thorough scan disk, defragg, adaware, spybot, clean out obsolete files....is there anything else you would recommend..(I always see these Registry Cleaners around...are they something I should be messing with?...Recommendations?

Have a wonderful day!

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 24 March 2006 - 06:41 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Click on the link in my sig for tuneup trial & download it.
ave a look and see if you think you can run it. It is easy to use.
Use the second tab cleanup and repair and run both options in there.

Edited by peterm, 24 March 2006 - 10:27 AM.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Awesome Thank you again Peterm.....I had a shortcut problem (described on another thread) and I thought in the interim waiting for a reply there I would make the time and follow your suggestion et voila ~ zee computer he is fixed!!!!.....Merci beaucoup!!!!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Glad to help
What about the sticking buttons ?
Did it ask you to run the fix twice if yes then I am sure you whould have
The next Tab Optimize and impove is also a good one. I have only used the registry defrag.
If you run it close all other programs.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Well I thought I replied.....hmmm...nm...here we go again

Heyyyyy Peter...Thank you again....however I then decided to run the Ultimate test....I shutdown, unplugged the mouse from the PS/2 port and plugged it into a usb port..booted up and guess what????

IT STILL DOESNT WORK!!!!!! :whistling:

Actually ran the registry cleaner 3x...from 3000 problems to 421 to 5 and then perfection!

As far as the sticking buttons...I'll get back to you with that...havent been on long enough to know if its still happening.

Perhaps Ill try the defragg while Im cooking dinner....I dont run other applications when Im working on this...its much too confusing with all the lil things that have been popping up everytime I turn around!

I hope you are having a wonderful evening & Thanks again!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
the defrag takes couple of minutes as it is the registry not the hard drive.
It is 8.00am Sunday
Also the tuneup system optimizer is worth a run

Edited by peterm, 25 March 2006 - 04:13 PM.