Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Boots Up Distorted, Mouse Poofed

• Please log in to reply

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Yikes....well you are up early then!!! G'day Peterm!!! Ok then...ran them all and its looking good!

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 25 March 2006 - 05:59 PM.

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hello Again...I decided to post this here as I want to reference this silly mouse problem...(hope its ok).

I am now hoping to upgrade from ME to XP and the following questions come to mind:

1. Should I reformat & install XP? (is that what is meant by a "clean install"?) Is reformatting difficult? Do we have a tutorial for doing this or is it best left up to the pros? I realize I'll lose all the existing data but basically what I want ~ I now have stored to put back on later.

My thinking is to wipe the harddrive clean and install XP in the hopes that it will "cure" the mouse problem as well. I've read everything on the Logitech site and we have done it all... I emailed them to see what they had to say....I cant be the only one with this glitch!

2. The computer has 384 mbs of RAM ~ is this enough to effectively run XP or do I need to have 512 or more? ( I think I had 128 to begin with and we plugged in another 256 ~ whats the best way to upgrade it...just add another to make the difference up or buy one big one?)

And Peterm...the keys are now not sticking...that utility you referenced is FABULOUS...its really picked up the ole puter up nice...thanks again!

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 27 March 2006 - 10:07 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok nice to know it is running ok now
seems a shame to throw on xp after all the hardwork by Wannabe1.
Anyhow if you want to go down that road then reformat the hard drive is the best way.
When you put in the xp pro disk it should auto run and it should ask you do you want to format the drive and do it for you.Take the option to format as NTFS
512 would be better as to how to get that way depends on how many slots are left on your mother board for ram.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Ok...scratch that one (for those that have already read it...

Actually, Peter...I am yet again completely mouseless.

Ok...so with that...I am thinking....should I reformat and reinstall ME...will that give me my mouse back (in any way shape or form BUT a usb connect would be nice)

Do I just install ME over what exists?

Will a clean install assure me of mouse function?

(Am not even turning it on)

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 28 March 2006 - 10:43 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: AAAaaargh!!!

Does the mouse function return if you do a system restore to a time when it was working?

WinME will overlay, but that is not really the best way to do it...a clean install would be better. However, if you are going to format and install fresh, I'd be very tempted to upgrade to XP. The upgrade could be installed right over the ME (let XP do the dirty work). Then if the results are less than optimum, you could use the XP cd to format and install (clean install) and would only require the ME cd as a qualifying product.

According to the WinAudit, you still have one slot open for RAM. A 256MB stick in there would put you "over the top" for running XP.

Will this resolve the problem? XP's driver cache and USB support is far superior to ME, but to my mind, we never really figured out what is at the root of the issue. I can only speculate that it would.

wannabe1

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I Concur

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thank you both...this is sooo very frustrating..I'll try Wannabe...I'm not the greatest without a mouse!

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Somehow this posted twice....Sorry...(just not my day today)

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 30 March 2006 - 03:22 PM.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Good Afternoon....I worked on it a bit this morning before my chiropractor's appt and I got the mouse back...but it still doesnt work in the usb slot....soooooo I stopped in at Future Shop & bought the XP Home Edition Upgrade...ok...I'll try just that and let you know Wannabe! Thanks :help:

ok....so why would I think just anyone could possibly do this? :whistling:

It's not installing...sighs....ok..where is the lil smilie that's banging his head on the brick wall!!! :blink:

It just sits an hangs at Starting Windows Start Up.... (and thats all folks!)

Update...its now hours later and Im watching this XP load...or I sure hope its loading...and now Im getting error messages...like...

winlogon.exe - Bad Image

The application or DLL C:\Windows\system32\sfc_os.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette. OK

and when I press OK, it says

The requested operation was unsuccessful and then it reboots and says setup is being restarted...and I get the messages again ... over and over and over...

If I click the "x" in the upper right corner..it says system resources insufficient to complete API

grrrr...now what? does anyone know what I should do with this now?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 30 March 2006 - 06:35 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you doing the upgrade from within me? (loaded into windows...and runing the disk from there?)

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thank you for your prompt response dsenette! (Love the Chuck Norris site btw...too funny!)

I am running XP set up from the cd trying to upgrade from ME to XP Home. The second time I tried loading it I got a completely different set of errors...so now I am thinking I should just run a clean install from the cd...what do ya think?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 31 March 2006 - 10:07 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's what i would be inclined to say...the machine is having so many issues a format and start over could do it some good.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Well I had high hopes....39 minutes to go on a new install and setup stalls with the following errors...

System Stup Log -(C:\WINDOWS\setuperr.log)

Error: SXS.DLL: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\1386\asms\6000\MSFT\VCRTL\VCRTL.MAN" on line 11.

Error: Installation failed: C\$WIN_NT$.~LS\1386\asms.
Error Message: A component in file does not match the verification information presnet in the component manifest.

Fatal Error: One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. A components file does not match the verification information in the component manifest.

Setup keeps restarting and coming up with the same errors...I can't get my cdrom to open to retrieve my disk and I shut down manually because its just stuck in this vicious loop...

:blink: I am in way over my head here! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy...are we having fun yet?

Let's see if we can at least fight this thing to a draw...

While the Setup program is running, and while the error message still appears on the screen, press SHIFT + F10 to start a command prompt. At the command prompt:

Type cd\windows\system32\, and press "Enter".
Type rename catroot2 catold, and press "Enter".

Restart the computer and try again to finish the upgrade.

Edited by wannabe1, 31 March 2006 - 10:19 PM.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
To get your CD out: When power is off, hit the power button to turn it on. Just after the light on the CD drive stops blinking press the eject button. The door should slide open.

The computer will try to boot but can't, of course, so just press the power button again, holding it in until the power goes off (about 3 to 5 seconds usually does it). You can manually push the CD drive door back in (gentlly) even if the power is off - you won't damage it by doing this.

----------

For what its worth - it sounds like your restore disc is faulty. You might try getting a human being to talk to at the manufacturor's customer service dept to send you a new restore disc - or even much better, an XP installation disc (that should have come with the computer in the first place, but the manufacturor cheaped out).