Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Boots Up Distorted, Mouse Poofed

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Install the critical updates and Service Packs...and any driver updates it finds for you. The rest are pretty much optional. Click the "Review and Install" link to read a brief desription of the updates available to your OS.

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Ok...Thank You so very much wannabe 1

Btw...the sun IS shining here...hopefully its shining there too!

Thanks again for taking so much time in getting me through this...I appreciate it!

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 01 March 2006 - 02:48 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Get 'em all... :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are very welcome, Certifiably Blonde. Glad we got you all fixed up! :tazz:

wannabe1

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thanks I am.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thanks to wannabe1, my computer is now displaying absolutely wonderfully :tazz: & the previous freezing issues I was experiencing before the meltdown are all but gone (amazing how that works!).

Last night I started buring off all my keepsakes in preparation to hauling this machine in for a reformat & having XP installed ~ only to be further reinforced by one of the pinned threads on this board having to do with Microsoft ending support for certain O/S ~ one of which is ME due to the natural cycle of things and the fact that ME is one of the older unstable O/S they have hit us with.

I find this morning I am left with some fine tuning which leaves me unsure and I wanted to bounce this off and basically here because I am not sure whether the work we did influenced this or perhaps this is another issue altogether.

When I access my Yahoo email...the following popup displays: ~

Microsoft Internet Explorer

An ActiveX control on this page is not safe. Your current security settings prohibit running unsafe controls on this page. As a result this page may not display as intended.

Ok....firstly I have only a very limited idea of what ActiveX is thanks to google...(why cant they just spell it out...I get lost in the explanations)

So Im figuring its an IE thing...I goto "TOOLS" ... "Internet Options" ... "Security" ... "Custom Level" and then I look....there are a few areas that are designated "Prompt" and I figure this is why I get this message and I wonder...if I click that (if I was sure of exactly which one it was)...does this pose a threat? or do I just live this way? Will this happen in XP too? or should I just "buckup" at the risk of being a total pain and ask (I really hope throughout all of this....someome else is helped with their like problem)? Do I need to list which or does someone already know? :)

If someone would be so kind, I would appreciate it...Thank You!

.o O (perhaps I should sign off with "Terminally Blonde" not just "Certifiably"...sighs...its sooo difficult sometimes)...

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 02 March 2006 - 07:00 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good Morning Certifiably Blonde...

Go into IE Internet Options. Under the Security tab/Custom Level, in the list under ActiveX Controls and Plugins, the settings should be as follows:

Enabled
  • Binary and Script behaviors
  • Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins
  • Script ActiveX controls marked for safe scriting
Prompt
  • Download signed ActiveX controls
All others should be Disabled.

Let me know if this helps...

wannabe1

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Good Morning Wannabe1...thanks for your prompt reply.

What I have here is:

ActiveX & Plug Ins

Download signed ActiveX controls set to prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX contols set to disable

Initialize & Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe set to disable

Run ActiveX & Plug Ins set to enable

Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting set to enable.

**I dont see an area for Binary & Script behaviours SOOO failing that one....this is what I have set and I get that message with so I would say thats not it.

OFFTOPIC: Another thing I've found in internet options under Advanced/Security is an option that reads Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed...Is that a good thing to be checked too?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 02 March 2006 - 08:49 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your settings appear to be correct. Is the security level set to Medium?

There are a couple of things that may be causing the problem (other than ActiveX). Let's see if we can update the ActiveX controls...

Go to Control Panel and open Internet Options. Under the "General" tab, in the "Temperary Internet Files" section, click the "Settings" button. Click on the "View Objects" button. What Program Files are listed?

If that doesn't help, it may be a javaVM problem. Go HERE and download the latest Java application and install it. Reboot and see if the problem persists.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 March 2006 - 09:47 AM.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Yes it is set to medium.

I took a screen shot of the programs but like usual couldnt get th whole screen but there's only a few I couldnt get and below are the rest:

Yahoo Literati
YAddBook Class
RealArcade Rdxl E Class
MSN Chat Control 4.5
MSN Photo Upload Tool
ICS Scanner Light Class
QDiagHUpdate Obj Class
C Webclient Control Object

um....scratching my head after your edit..."GO HERE" re: java?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 02 March 2006 - 09:35 AM.

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Java updated yet the beast persists.... :tazz:

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 02 March 2006 - 10:58 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay in replying...got called away from the computer and was out all day... :tazz:

Go back into Internet Options to the View Objects window. Right click on each of the following and choose "Update":
  • Shockwave Flash Object
  • Shockwave ActiveX Control
Restart your computer and try the Yahoo Mail...

Does this help?

wannabe1

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Good Morning Wannabe1 ~ understood & notta problem.

I updated both as you suggested but unfortunately the message remains the same.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm...

Guess I'd better have a look at what's what on your machine. Please download WinAudit, run it, and save the audit to your desktop. This will produce three files. Select the file named "rightframe.html" and attach it to your next post for me. You can then delete the files from your desktop if you wish.

wannabe1

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
ummm...this is totally awkward here...but I really dont feel comfy posting that attachment, can I email it to you possibly?