Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Boots Up Distorted, Mouse Poofed

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...PM'd the addy to you.

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Thankyou....email is sent. You may notice I'm back on the pinmouse...my tailess logitech ellip has died...which is fine...the readme files tell me its so old it's not XP compliant anyways...lol..go figure!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
One thing I'd like to try right off the bat...disable the ZoneAlarm and any pop-up stoppers you have running. Then try the windows update site by clicking on Windows Update in the Start menu. (I'm reviewing the audit)

wannabe1

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Good Afternoon Wannabe1!

Okie dokie....a critical update was done K8888113. I didn't do the Microsoft IE 6 critical update cos I'm running 5.5 AND...there are 3 WinME updates offered but not done....DirectX9.0 End User Runtime; Windows Automatic Updating(WinME) & Euro Conversion Tool. There are no driver updates offered at this time.

Checked into mail and the beast remains....

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 04 March 2006 - 12:21 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Certifiably Blonde...

Now try yahoo mail the same way...ZoneAlarm and pop-up stoppers disabled.

I'd also like for you to download and install IE Explorer 6 SP1 and get it updated.

If you still get the error from the Yahoo mail site, try Firefox and see if the error persists. (I use Firefox almost exclusively...only use IE for updates). If you install Firefox, you can have it import your IE Favorites during the install.

wannabe1

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Same even with zone disabled...proceeding to update IE.

Well HECK!!!!I've tried shutting down Zone & AVG and installing. I've tried installing offline. Yet the message remains the same...

Set up was unable to install all components. Please close all applications & try running setup again.
Two options..one is ok the other is help...when I click help this is what it says:

It appears you have the correct setup files, but the installation failed. Try closing down all other programs and try running Setup again. If that still does not work, contact Microsoft Product Support Services for additional help.

Grrrrr.....

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 04 March 2006 - 12:51 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmmmm...interesting.

Please download Dial-A-Fix. Double-click the downloaded zip and extract the files to your desktop. Double click the Dial-A-Fix icon to start the application.

Check the boxes next to Fix Windows Installer:, Fix SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc:, and ActiveX Controls/codecs. Click "GO".

Try Yahoo mail again.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 04 March 2006 - 03:44 PM.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Dial-A-Fix complete and the message remains the same. Not too sure I can handle Firefos...too late tonight to go at it...so I'll sleep on it...Thanks Wannbe1...this is certainly stubborn.....I think I may just check the Yahoo Mail FAQ's ~ I can't be the only one having this problem!!!

G'night.

Addendum...this is what I found in Yahoo FAQ's...What do you think?

How do I enable ActiveX on my browser?
Yahoo! Mail Beta uses several XML features (they are complicated but trust us, they help you) in the IE browser and in order to use those, you need to have Active X enabled.

Rest assured, here is no Active X download or installation of any kind. In order to utilize these special browser capabilities, please enable Active X with the following steps.

To enable ActiveX for IE 6.x for Windows: you can do the following:

Click on "Tools" menu in the browser.
Select "Internet Options" from the pull-down menu."
Click on the "Security" tab on the top portion.
Click on the "Custom Level" button on the 'Internet' zone option.
You will see a scroll-down menu with radio buttons. Select the 'Enable' radio button for the following menu choices:

Run ActiveX Controls and Plugins
Script ActiveX Controls Marked Safe for Scripting
Click on the "Ok" button to exit and save.
Click on the "Ok" button again to exit out of Internet Options menu.
Now, exit your browser and restart! ActiveX should now be enabled. You're all set!

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 04 March 2006 - 08:09 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've been to the Yahoo Help Center....

I'm thinking this might be an AOL proxy server problem...check their support and see if you run across any issues ike yours there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You can check all those settings, but I think we've already checked them all and have them set correctly...check with AOL support.

Edited by wannabe1, 04 March 2006 - 08:14 PM.

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Good Morning Wannabe1... Okies re the Yahoo stuff ~ yeah I guess we have..sorry I was tired and thought it was newstuff.

AOL support? I dont have AOL and I dont even have their messenger sooo I am confused as to why I have anything to do with their proxy server?

Each and every time I turn my computer on I get the message asking if I want to resume my IE6 installation (which still isnt happening). I've tried loading 2 wireless Logitech mice now (trivial matter) ...no go...it will only take the pinmouse with tail (no choice) and this mail problem.

ARGH!

Addendum... I deleted the IE6setup from the C Windows Update folder and now that resume message is gone...GREATTT we are down to two now...lol...IE6 installation and the mail thing.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 05 March 2006 - 06:51 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

AOL support? I dont have AOL and I dont even have their messenger

Line 37 of the audit shows AOL support files as being installed?

If the mouse (mice) you are trying to use are USB, you may have to enable "Legacy USB Support" in BIOS setup to use it.

Let's try clearing the Temporary Internet Files and Internet History and see if we can get the IE6 to install.

Open Internet Explorer, click on "View" on the toolbar, and select "Internet Options". Under the "General" tab (Temporary Internet Files section), click on "Delete Files". In the "History" section, click on "Clear History", and click "Ok". Close IE.

Then, Open "My Computer", click on "Tools", then on "Folder Options", and then on "View". Select "Show hidden files and folders", click "Apply" then "Ok".

Go to folder C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer and create a folder named "Old uninstall"..

Go to folder C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Uninstall Information, click "Edit" on the toolbar, choose "Select All", right click and select "Cut". Open the folder you just created (Old Uninstall), right click in the open folder, and select "Paste". Close My Computer.

You should now be able to install IE6. If everything works as expected, you can delete the "Old Uninstall" folder and the files you moved.

Let me know how this goes.

wannabe1

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
RE: the AOL files...NOW THAT IS SCARY!!!...I'll hafta remove those (I don't have AOL...I have h/s cable)

RE: the mouse..now thats wierd too...I've had a usb cordless mouse almost as long as I've had the computer.

I'll hafta give the IE install some attention tomorrow morning...I am presently medicated and I promised never to medicate & drive (my computer).

Thanks Wannabe1...I'll letchya know how it goes in the morning. Have a good evening.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Ooops...Good Morning Wannabe! I am trying...

Grrrr...this is soo frustrating...

Ive gotten as far as C/ProgramFiles/IE/Uninstall Info....Ive opened it...clicked edit...select all ...right click and there is no option for "CUT"...

What gives? Can I try it through Windows Explorer and just copy over into the Old Uninstall file? or should I move them over completely and leave the Uninstall file empty?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 06 March 2006 - 08:42 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How about "Copy"? If there is an option to copy the files, Copy/Paste them to the new folder and then Delete all the files in the original folder.