Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot get widows validation tool installed

• Please log in to reply

ssmith20

ssmith20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
You want me to boot up in safe mode as Admin. and change the name of the CatRoot2 file is that correct?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes

ssmith20

ssmith20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Booted in safe mode. Changed CatRoot2 to OldRoot2. Then rebooted. Then tried to download the validation tool and it di not work. It did create a new CatRoot2 folder, and it has quite a few more files in it than the orginal one did. Any other ideas?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.microsoft...e&page=validate

see if you can run this alternative (not through upate)

ssmith20

ssmith20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sure, used the link - says I am valid:
Validation Complete!

Thank you for validating your copy of Microsoft Windows.

Thank you for using the Windows Genuine Advantage program. You may now access resources for genuine Windows users.

ssmith20

ssmith20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
interestingly I manualy downloaded a beta version of windows defender and it found an occurence of SPYAXE, which is what hijacked my browser like 3 months ago. Thought I had killed that guy off, his kung-fu is strong. Still can't get the validation tool to update. Perhaps I need to check manually and validate manually to keep my maintenance current.

ssmith20

ssmith20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hmmmmm, don't see all the posts.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:tazz: what posts

ssmith20

ssmith20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
not sure if you are still out there??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
<== volunteer please be patient and polite

Advertisements

ssmith20

ssmith20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Any other ideas?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > control panel > add/remove, check SHOW UPDATES AT TOP...is WINDOWS GENUINE ADFVANTAGE VALIDATION TOOL present?

Remove it.

Now try

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if that does not work

Please run hijackthis (see link in my signature), then save a log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodal and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty.

ssmith20

ssmith20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
hello there,
the genuine advantage tool is there, but is the only guy in add/remove that does not have a remove option.
I will attempt to attach a hijack this log, however, attch was not working the other day when I was sending you an output log. Here we go, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

ssmith20

ssmith20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I think there is something wrong with your attach function?