Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless connection problems

• Please log in to reply

comphater89

comphater89

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi-
i wasn't really sure what section to put this under at first because my main computer with the main internet connection is a windows xp, but i'm working to connect a ME. so, if this is in the wrong section let me appologise now. the problem i am having is i just got a wireless card for my windows ME and installed it, but programs that require internet won't connect and explorer won't connect either. My computer IS recieving the connection, and has signal strengths about 90% usually. The wireless system I am using is Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 ghz. By the way, my main internet is DSL. I know it isn't a problem with the router, because my dad's laptop is on the same system and has no problems. Is there any kind of configuration I need to go through on my ME or XP? Any help appreciated - if you need more info just list it and I'll get back to you.

Thanks!

Tim

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi Tim...My daughter just got a new laptop with XP on it two weeks ago and I just copied all the ssid info plus the network keys from the old computer wireless configuration screen* onto the new one and its up and running no worries...we have a netgear router but as I understand it...its just a straight deal with most routers.

*You access the config screen by right clicking on the lil wireless computer icon in the lower right start menu? Her old lap was running ME...the new one XP...I wasnt aware the operating system makes a difference...hmm..sometimes ignorance is bliss!!! :tazz:

Hope this helps...I'm definitely no expert...but heyy I just did it.

MGritts22

MGritts22

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi, I'm his brother-

that's not the problem. Thanks for being open though. the thing is the tcp/ip will not add, even if you try doing it manually. if anyone has had this problem before, please help us out.

comphater89

comphater89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
please help? im just waiting around.... :tazz:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I admire your patience. I'm sorry you were not attended to sooner...but that is probably due to the fact that you say this is a wireless connection problem, and you are posting in the OS forum instead of the networking forum. :tazz:

Let's see if I can find out what's wrong, and if it turns out to be a networking problem, I'll direct you to the networking forum.

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :)

comphater89

comphater89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
[quote name='computerwiz12890' date='Mar 15 2006, 06:43 PM' post='600736']
I admire your patience. I'm sorry you were not attended to sooner...but that is probably due to the fact that you say this is a wireless connection problem, and you are posting in the OS forum instead of the networking forum. :tazz:

crap my bad!
well, i'm still here but alot has happened since i posted (my brother is kinda in charge of the show) so gimme about a day or two to catch up with him on whatsup and ill reply
thanks!

JJcJr

JJcJr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: comphater, this is just an idea because i had similar difficulties after running net stumbler.... i had to let windows manage my internal "g" NIC
and i let netstumbler manage my "b"wireless card.. once i let XP run the "g" NIC i had no further problems ... just a quick thought.
JJC

comphater89

comphater89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i think right now it would be best if this topic was just closed... i can't even begin to explain whats going on right now and I think my brother has a fairly good idea of whats going on so you can close this topic and if anything new comes up I'll make a new post in the correct forum.
Thanks!
Tim

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Non-malware topics are generally not closed, with a few exceptions.

But I will unsubscribe from this topic. So I will not receive a message if anyone posts here.

Hope things work out for ya :tazz: :)

Edited by computerwiz12890, 17 March 2006 - 04:49 PM.