Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Finding a New MOBO!

• Please log in to reply

Atrio05

Atrio05

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hey well my old mobo is toast so i need some help figuring out what i need to look for in a new motherboard. i need the new one to be compatible with everything i have already because i'm on a tight budget.
i have a pentium 4 processor 1.8 ghz, IDE hard drives, an Asus DVD burner, An Aopen DVD Rom, An Agp video card(but i could deal with some decent onboard graphics), PS/2 mouse and keyboard, i'm not sure what kind of Ram i have but i could probly buy new ram ne way.

i guess i just didn't really kno if i need a special board to go with the processor like i kno the socket needs to be a 478 but take this for instance(TYAN S3098G2N Socket 478 Intel 845GV Flex ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail) what doers the 845GV mean. i guess thats all i'm not understanding.

Advertisements

Atrio05

Atrio05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i have another question. does it matter if i use a micro atx in a atx case? because my old board was an atx i was just wondering if everything would line up alright and everything?

Thanx!

Atrio05

Atrio05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
is there anyone who can shed some light on this subject?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Unfortunately you can look for a long time without finding any pentium 423 pin processor motherboards. These Mb's have been phased out a couple of years ago. You best bet would to buy a newer combo motherboard kit that fits most of your hardware. something like this.

http://www.tigerdire...c.asp?CatId=191

I would not spend much over $200 on this including the new memory you will have to buy. Remember that your parts are 2 years old and are subject to failure at any time. When you get into the $400-500 range you might as well buy a new computer.

SRX660

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Atrio05

Not sure why SRX660 thinks you need a socket 423 mobo. He's right, socket 423 have been completely phased out, but you're looking for socket 478, right?

These are getting harder to find but certainly not impossible. If you tell me what country you live in, I'll pont you in the direction of some suitable ones.

BTW, a micro ATX board should fit in an ATX case no problem, although personally I'm not a fan of mATX & would stick with full size ATX if possible.

845GV just refers to the chipset that the board uses.

Atrio05

Atrio05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah Im looking for a 478. I live in the US. Will this board work http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131546? Micro ATX's are all that i can find that have any good reviews and for 44$ it doesnt sound to bad to me. And Does it really matter what the chipset is?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yeah that board should work. I checked the CPU compatibility on Asus's website & it lists the P4 1.8GHz (400MHz FSB) as being compatible.

The chipset doesn't matter that much, it's just that some chipsets tend to be more buggy than others & require patching more often. Personally, I'm not a fan of SIS chipsets but thats just my personal opinion. SIS in particular tend to suffer from more USB issues than other chipsets.

After much hunting around, I found these for you as well :

Intel motherboard - 6 pci slots so NOT micro ATX & only $50 :
http://www.pcprogres...&PID=IND845PESV

Several boards here, mixture of chipsets & form factors. Note - not every board here is 478 socket. The first board has SIS chipset but rest of specs are really good & is only $49.95

http://dealsurprise....lprocessor.html

Atrio05

Atrio05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanx very much for your help. i think i am going to go with the ASUS board i found i don't really mind the mATX that much. it's got alot of pretty good features on it. it'll do ok for what i need it for i hope.

but thanx for all the help!

i'll post an update when i get the board and install it to tell ya how it went.

THANX!!!!

Edited by Atrio05, 02 March 2006 - 05:03 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good choice. Must admit, Gigabyte aren't my favourite brand either. As for the AC97 - with 6 pci slots, at least you have plenty of room to put a decent off-board sound card in instead!

Good luck!