Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Overheating Toshiba Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Wendol11

Wendol11

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok. I just got this Laptop last september. I'ts overheated a few times before from not getting enough air in the fans but now it won't stay running much longer than 10 minutes if I have anything running. I downloaded speedfan and the harddrive doesn't get hotter than 43 degrees. I saw others post that theirs was running at like 60. Is my computer overheating or is it something else. How would I tell? Any suggestions?

thanks, wendol

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Wendol11

I suspect if the laptop is overheating to the point where its shutting down, that its the cpu thats overheating rather than the hard drive.

Do you have any way of monitoring the cpu temps & the cpu fan speed?

Have you also checked the vents for dust?

Wendol11

Wendol11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Its not dusy. I tried blowing it out. Is there a program I can use to check the temperature of the CPU and fan speed? I downloaded speedfan but it seems to just give hard drive temp for me. Does that mean I don't have a cpu temp sensor or a fan speed sensor? Or is it just not recognizing them. Thanks for the help,

Wendol

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Laptop is bound to have sensor for monitoring the temperature at least, & probably fan speed too. Some laptops will report these things in the bios, others use diagnostic utilities of some description or simple monitoring utilities.

Which model of Toshiba laptop do you have?

Wendol11

Wendol11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Its a toshiba sattelite A70 RW1.
from the website:
Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 532 supporting Hyper-Threading Technology (3.06 GHz, 533MHz FSB, L1 Cache 12KB/8KB, L2 Cache 1MB)

As I was searching the website I came across this.

http://www.csd.toshi...jsp?soid=950322

its an american bulletin and I'm in canada. Should I take it in and see what they say or give them a call and see what the deal is? Thanks for any help,

Darren

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I think you should definately contact them & see what they say. As it looks quite likely that this may be the cause of your problems, I don't think there's any point in investigating further until you have spoken to Toshiba & see if they can resolve it for you.

Let us know you get on. If Toshiba say that your particular problems are caused by something else, then we can take it from there.

Good luck :tazz:

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
also everest home edition will tell you everything u will need to no
troppo

brearc

brearc

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i had the same problem and i have the exact same laptop as you.

problems started with while construction started in my home, massive dust collected and shut my toshiba very suddenly.

cleaning the vents solved it for me and keeping laptop elevated works too. I find just by placing my laptop on my bed smothering the comforter, the computer shuts down.

my advice is just keep it clean, it solved my problem