Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Processor Activity w/ New proc+mobo

• Please log in to reply

Uofmfbal

Uofmfbal

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Need a little help guys.
In my year experience of proffesional pc repair ive never encountered this problem.
1. My friend recently had his dell MOBO crap out on him.
2. I installed the new one he purchased through dell
3. Install went fine, all tests passed with pc-check6
***THE ISSUE*** 4. 3 weeks later (today) he is back with issues that dell claims it is his proc. Doesn't post nor show proc activity. He claims he was working on the pc and sent a static electric shock to his metal desk and at that same time his pc shut off and put him out of commission. (his pc sits on no rubber pads, just hard plastic built in to the chasis)
5. I replaced his processor but he still has no led activity nor post.
6. replaced cmos battery, still nothing.
7. replaced power supply (thinking maybe his measly 300w turd couldnt power his 2 ide drives,floppy and 2 sata hdd's), still nothing.
7 IM STUMPED, could he have already killed his mobo again?? its only been 3 weeks?? I removed the memory and it recognizes it with its warning beeps.
Please help!

Thanks You,
Uofmfbal
Sr. Geek Squad
Philadelphia, PA

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Tough call but a few things to consider. Have you reset CMOS - if not, do so. You could have lost settings with the static charge that was noted. And, this should be standard operating procedure when replacing a MoBo or processor or both. OK, you know that and have done it - sorry for being so basic but thats just in case it was overlooked. Is the old Dell PSU ATX standard - you can't tell by just looking at the MoBo ATX connector because Dell used non-standard pinouts in some machines which made a stock ATX PSU a no-go. This alone can kill a motherboard. You'll need to research it or use a power supply tester. Have you or your friend checked out the A/C circuit this machine was plugged into - grounded properly and correct voltage? How did that static charge/discharge to the desk come about - perhaps this yields a clue to what happened even if it doesn't pull you out of your current dilemma. Also basic but have you rechecked all of your cabling and connectors, reseated video and memory? Check all of this and keep us informed.

:tazz:

Uofmfbal

Uofmfbal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your prompt reply.
1. Yes, i have reset the cmos and still nothing
2. All wire's and cables are connected to their correct position
3. The psu that came with the dell is a standard atx psu

I did notice some minor changes in his hardware configuration however.
Since the "know it all's" at dell love to talk inexperienced people on how to remove all the hardware from there machine. I guess they advised my friend to remove all the component in his pc. He then said that dell diagnosed he had a bad proc. SO, i just ASSUMED dell knew what they were doing and that maybe they heard recognition beeps that there was no compatible video source nor memory. But low and behold, i removed the memory and all pci/agp slot components, and BINGO......silence. I just hope dell plans on refunding this $190 piece of junk mobo that has died so easily in 3 weeks on my friend. But this is what he gets for buying a crappy dell and not letting his best friend build him a quality machine. Thanks for your time Rockster2U and i will post the resolution in a couple days when my friend get a mobo replacement.

Thank You,
Uofmfbal
Sr. Geek Squad
Philadelphia, PA