Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Pentium 166 w/o MMX L2 Chace Size

• Please log in to reply

RJ_Moore

RJ_Moore

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, I am trying to optimize my dual P166 Tyan system, by optimizing my system access to my on chip L2 Cache.

I need someone to tell me where how to tell how big my Pentium 166 L2 Cache is. The CPUs don't have MMX because it is a dual cpu system.

Can anyone :tazz: me?

Thanks. RJ

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Visit www.intel.com and look up your processor.

RJ_Moore

RJ_Moore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Maiki, thanks for the tip! That Aida program tells me, realy fast, my CPUs have no onboard cache, but my Tyan MOBO has 512 external cache.

Thanks for your :tazz: .

Richard

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
LOL! Quite an old machine you have there. I used to use Tyan boards and in fact built 2 computers long ago with 166MHZ and 200MHz. I think 200MHz was the max for those boards. Maybe time for upgrade... unless this is just a toy to mess around with! Laters!!

RJ_Moore

RJ_Moore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Makai, is dual core, the same as dual cpu, but on one cpu?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Truthfully, I cannot answer that. I would assume so, but I haven't really looked into it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
L2 cache on such an old processor is probably so miniscule that it may as not be there. My Pentium 166 (which isn't MMX and isn't dual core) has a level 2 cache of just 16k. I'd presume yours to be about the same if not slightly more.

RJ_Moore

RJ_Moore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
HI, I think, if you check again, you will find your L1 cache is 16, and your L2 may not be onchip, but onboard, as mine is on my Tyan dual MOBO.

Richard.