Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New I.P

• Please log in to reply

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Is it normal for my ip address to change constantly everytime i restart my computer. I only have a normal ADSL Broadband modem and was wondering if this was normal. My I.P Netmask is also the same numbers.
eg: 111.111.111.111
Is this normal because this has never happened to me before

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello CJIS and welcome to G2G, :tazz:

It is not normal for your IP address to change everytime you start-up your computer, unless your ISP has a very short IP Lease. This is governed by how many subscribers your ISP is carrying VS. what IP range they currently have leased. Say if they have around 30,000 subscribers and are only leasing 10,000 IP's, then this would be very common. I would contact you ISP and ask them this question. If they reply that this is not normal, then post back and we will get to the bottom of it.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK i have sent them an E-Mail and am hoping for a reply.
I am in the UK using an ADSL Broadband Modem and my ISP is homecall.co.uk

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK I got no reply from the E-Mail and my i.p address has changed again although my subnet Mask doesn't change. (my actual subnet mask is 255.255.255.255) and this always stays like this.
the first 2 numbers of my i.p address stay the same and the next 3 numbers stay the same after every restart but the next 6 numbers just randomly change.
HomeCall is powered by Tiscali aswell and it says this when it is connecting (in McAfee) 88.111.166.13 (88-111-166-13.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)

Edited by CJIS, 02 March 2006 - 01:35 AM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Any reply from your ISP yet

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Yes ok they said it is perfectly fine, and this is perfectly normal.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
good to go.. they need to lease more ip's though as tyhey are just juggling right now.... mine changes about once a week... not much better

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok thanks.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I've seen some friends and they have the same type of modem (speedtouch) and they use tiscali and one uses wanadoo and theirs does exactly the same thing.

jwt015

jwt015

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
If you need to have a constant IP, get a no-ip.org account and use the dynamic IP feature.